What are the issues about finding work in Thailand?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English. Classroom problems, lesson planning, career advice, staff...

Moderator: Susan

What are the issues about finding work in Thailand?

Unread postby Jim » 18 Aug 2004, 15:29

I have just passed my CELTA. I am hoping to work in Thailand in September, and am wondering whether to just fly to Bangkok and seek employment in country. Applying for jobs on line seems to entail committing to a year's contract without seeing the place or meeting the people - sounds risky to me! What are my chances if I just pitch up? Will there be difficulties over visas and work permits, or will a prospective employer sort this out for me? Just to let you know, I don’t have a first degree!

I look forward to hearing from you

Jim
Jim
Registered Member

Finding work in Thailand

Unread postby Lucy » 18 Aug 2004, 15:31

Dear Jim,

Congratulations on getting your CELTA.

I have never worked in Thailand, so I can only give you general advice.

1 Get onto chat pages on EFL websites and find out what others think of working in Thailand. Ask the same questions as you asked me.

2 Get info about any school you are thinking of working for.

3 If you have the money and time, go out to Thailand on a tourist visa. This will give you a feel for the country. Spend time doing non-tourist things to get a realistic view of living there. This will also allow you to visit schools, talk to people living there, etc.

4 Get in touch with the Thai consulate in the UK. They’ll be able to give you the necessary info about working papers and visas. They might even have details about EFL schools.

5 I have heard that to work legally you need a degree. This is a requirement of the Thai government not the schools who insist. You need to check this out.

6 If you find work, an employer will probably help you sort out your papers. They will probably expect commitment from you in the same way recruiters do over the internet.

7 Consider the option of signing up for a year after getting all the info you need about the school. A year can go quickly and it will give you solid experience.

8 In most countries, there are good work opportunities if you just turn up. It depends on what sort of work you’re looking for i.e. whether you want a full-time contract with one school or whether you can accept hourly paid work and private lessons.

Disclaimer: Teflnet cannot be held responsible for any decisions you make based on information given in this forum.
Lucy

Return to TEFL Help Desk