Can a non-native speaker teach in China?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Edberg87

Can a non-native speaker teach in China?

Unread post by Edberg87 »

Hi there,

I'm Italian, so unfortunately I can't really say I'm a native speaker, although I would say my english is pretty good. I've got a bachelors degree in German and English language and literature and I'm thinking about an online TEFL course. Would I have any chances to get a good teaching job in China? Besides,I was thinking about signing on at teflJobplacement.com which would cost me(including the tefl course)about 700 euros, does anybody know if this really works???
sstephanie

Non Native in China

Unread post by sstephanie »

I have a similar problem. I am a French Native, I have just completed a TEFL Course,online. I have sent thousands of cv around for a position as an English Teacher, and had some positive replies from China, Indonesia, Thailand. These countries seem to be fine with the fact that I am not an English Native. Anyway,I am not giving up when schools reply with ONLY ENGLISH NATIVE. I still try and ask them to conduct a phone interview to check my native-level of English or/and my accent. Try. Don't give up. It's hard work, lots of research but you might get a great job at the end....China will definitely offer you a position :D
orientpearl

can a non-native speaker teach in China?

Unread post by orientpearl »

Definitely yes.A non- native speaker of English can teach in China as long as you have teaching experiences and you don't have a strong accent.I'm asian myself and i've been teaching in China for two years. It will be difficult at first to be hired because of the country's preference to native speakers but then, believe.seek and you shall find. Spice up your CV.Now, most schools look for some teaching certificates.Be able to provide one.
soar high like an eagle...
sstephanie

Thanks for your reply. You might be able to help ....

Unread post by sstephanie »

Hi Orientpearl.Since I have posted this on the forum, I had two job offers in China. One in "Bond Institute", but after reading a few forums, I found out that They are not so great to work for. Please tell me, have you got any experience with them? And another one in Jilling Province? How is it there. Thanks for your help.