Teaching without a Degree.

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

TKAbroad

Teaching without a Degree.

Unread post by TKAbroad » 15 Jun 2018, 13:17

Hello,

Currently, I am on the hunt of finding english teaching jobs abroad during my gap year at university.

Little about myself, I am a 22 year old student from the United Kingdom, currently studying BA International Studies with the Open University. I am expecting to receive my TEFL certificate this coming, say September (120 hours).

My question and request is I suppose, Does anyone have any recommendations of websites, places or people they can give, to point my in the right direction of my search? I have looked quite extensively myself already however with limited success.

Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching without a Degree.

Unread post by Briona » 26 Jun 2018, 11:21

Hi there,
TKAbroad wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 13:17
... I have looked quite extensively myself already however with limited success.
As you seem to have discovered, there are very few legal options left for teaching without a degree. This is because a degree is now a pre-requisite for a work visa in most countries.

While the majority of Asia is not an option for non-degree holders, you may be able to find work in Cambodia or Laos. However, wages are subsistence level. Furthermore, in order to find a job, you'd really need to be in the country. The same goes for Latin America.

While a degree is not a requirement to teach in Europe, many employers will insist on you having one. In order to maximise your chances of finding work, I'd recommend investing in a Celta or Trinity CertTESOL (as opposed to an online TEFL certificate). The market in the more popular/desirable cities/countries is very competitive, and you will be up against teachers with a Celta/CertTESOL, a degree, or even a Master's, some local language knowledge, and bags of experience. An inexperienced newbie with just an online TEFL certificate wouldn't get a look in.

Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, please ask.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar