What chance do I have of finding work

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

elnoruego

What chance do I have of finding work

Unread post by elnoruego »

Hi everyone, first post here so let me introduce myself. My name is Kris, Im from Florida and Im interested in TEFL. The reason I ask "What chance do I have of finding work" is because Im only 18 and a fresh highschool graduate. I do however consider myself to be somewhat qualified; I have been going to college since I turned 16 and will have an AA in business administration this December, and I also speak fluent spanish. Im definately not trying to brag here, just trying to put things in perspective. Ive noticed that many schools prefer bachelors degrees, but I need a break from school for a couple of semesters. With that in mind Im curious to know if it would be worth the 1000 some odd dollars needed to go to an accredited tefl school if I cant get a job because Im too young. I imagine length of contract and location are a big factor in employment so... Im interested in about a six month job in South America, preferrably Argentina. Thanks for any input in advance :D
mlwalton13

Unread post by mlwalton13 »

First I'd like to say well done to you! Quite ambitious for being 18. I applaud you. :)

With an AA degree and a TEFL certificate, you will be able to get work. The concern might be however (get used to this for the next three to four years) that because 18 is considered young, the question might be your level of commitment as far as staying in one place for a one-year or two-year contract.

(I was 18 and ambitious like you and I got that crap all the time :? - it won't really ever abate completely - and I'm now in my 30's!)

Good Luck! I hope that helps... :)

Cheers,
Michelle