Using a coursebook effectively in class

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

JudyF

Using a coursebook effectively in class

Unread post by JudyF »

Hi there, I haven't been teaching for very long (around 2 years) and I've recently started teaching ESOL to adults in a local college. The college uses a coursebook for their classes and I'm wondering how best to use it in class? I've had a couple of lessons where we have literally gone through the exercises and I've mixed it up a bit by incorporating discussions and feedback. The class is at pre-int level and the students engage very well and are eager to learn. However, I am finding it difficult to find a way to effectively use the coursebook and avoid the feeling of 'students could just do this at home'. My particular weak area is teaching the grammar elements using the coursebook. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Judy
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Using a coursebook effectively in class

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi Judy

There's nothing wrong with following a course book when you start out. They are usually well thought out to guide teachers. If you are doing adequate presentation of language, speaking practice and error correction, nobody can say that the students could do this at home.

Buy yourself a good grammar book or use the teacher's book associated with the course book so you can be more comfortable with grammar points.

Lucy