Where to find most up-to-date info for what countries offer?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

MrSlippery

Where to find most up-to-date info for what countries offer?

Unread post by MrSlippery »

Hello,

I am still working on my book (some of you may have seen the post I made earlier), and in it I have a chapter that talks about the more popular teaching destinations.

In addition to just general information about those countries, I would also like to include more factual information such as salaray, cost-of-living, and something to the effect of "Best time to apply."

I have tried doing my own research, but a lot what I find is conflicting.

I was wondering if there is a site or place where I can find what is considered to be "standard" in regard to the subjects I mentioned above.

The main problem obviously is that numbers and figures can vary from school to school and person to person (depending on experience, for instance). So, giving definitive numbers is impossible (which I make sure to point out in my book so the reader understands that numbers shouldn't be taken as factual), but I would like to give what are considered to be the "most accurate" numbers I can.

Thank you for any help/info/advice,

Jeremy
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Where to find most up-to-date info for what countries offer?

Unread post by John V55 »

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said much of the advice is conflicting and that’s because there is no one size fits all. A lot depends on immigration rules, types of schools and qualifications and they’re different for each country.
There are sites like the one below, which list age limits, but even they’re contradictory. For instance, I’m 61 and still going strong in China. In China, it depends on who you know and more importantly, how well in with the authorities your school is. Yet in Thailand, the age limit is a strict 60, no matter what.

https://www.internationalschoolsreview. ... rticle.htm

In Asia, China and Thailand are the clear favourites, with Vietnam up and coming. South Korea and Japan, previous favourites, have both now hit a recession. Average monthly Thai salary is around a low 30k Bahts which hasn't changed in decades and in the cities about 50k. In China, expect around 6k ¥ for a starter, 8 to 9 for experience and 12 upwards for a Ph.D.
Thai salaries depend on length of service, while Chinese salaries reflect qualifications and experience. The best time to apply anywhere is around a month before the start of a new semester.

The cost of living you can find by Googling the country and entering something like, ‘Cost of living for TEFL teachers in *****’.
I don’t think you’ll find a site that lists everything you’re looking for, because it’s so complicated and also, ever changing. My advice would be to stick with generalities and those you’ll find by googling teachers who have been there.
My contribution is (Try this link).

https://www.academia.edu/16438508/TEFL_ ... r_Mongolia
An English TEFL Teacher in Inner Mongolia
MrSlippery

Unread post by MrSlippery »

Thanks again, John V55,

I really appreciate the time you have taken to help me.

The link you sent regarding age-limitations is really interesting. I had no idea that there was even an official limit. Though, I understand that schools typically would like their ESL teachers to be on the younger side. I will be sure to include this link in my book.

Where in China do you teach? I'm actually teaching in China now, too.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

No problem. I often consider developing my own writings into e-books, but eventually realise I don’t have the time for a big project like that. Yes, the age limits come from immigration departments and the Caucasian, NES and degree requirements from the schools.

If you need a proof reader for your chapters I’m happy to help and/or can supply you with free online links to professional editing tools.

I’m in Inner Mongolia, near the ‘Ghost City.’ I’ve been at the same government school since the end of 2011.