Will a Degree Transcript Suffice for China?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Paul_Devon

Will a Degree Transcript Suffice for China?

Unread post by Paul_Devon »

Hi

Newbie here, and wondering if anyone else has been or is in this situation:

I was awarded a degree from Plymouth University earlier this Month, and have received my degree transcript. I have since started my 120 TEFL Academy certificate course and applied for work in China. I have had a couple of good responses (and dozens of agencies) and am now at the applying for a visa stage for a September start.

However, the university in China are saying I will need to have my degree certificate verified, but I don't receive this until October. I have contacted Plymouth who will send me a certified duplicate, but this could take up to four weeks( :evil: )

So my question is really that of will a degree transcript be accepted by the solicitor for notarising and by the Chinese embassy?
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Will a Degree Transcript Suffice for China?

Unread post by John V55 »

Don’t quote me on this, but your employer will want to see a verified degree copy, not just someone saying, ‘yes, honestly, he has got one.’ As long as you have a copy of the degree itself, all should be well. If not, and they insist on seeing a copy you can’t get, you need to tell them it’s impossible at this stage and your start date will have to be put back.

I’d also advise that when you do get it, you keep the original with you in China. Give photocopies, but always keep the original within your sight.
Paul_Devon

Re: Will a Degree Transcript Suffice for China?

Unread post by Paul_Devon »

Thanks for your reply.

I have ordered a verified copy of my degree, although hugely frustrating that the university make no promise of when it will arrive and that I should allow "up to 28 days". This after they've had over £20k of my money :(