Please advise on medical aspect of tefl abroad

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Mikerich85

Please advise on medical aspect of tefl abroad

Unread post by Mikerich85 »

Hi,

I have just finished my tefl course and received multiple job offers in both Europe and Asia, however, I have recently been sectioned (for only one week) for a mental health disorder of OCD. The psychologists conclusion was for me to find a purpose and attain goals (teach abroad).

how will this effect my decision to leave for Sep start?

Thanks
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Please advise on medical aspect of tefl abroad

Unread post by John V55 »

I’ve always said that if you have problems, get them sorted out before you leave, otherwise they’re baggage you take with you. Mental health problems aren’t something you leave behind at a border, they travel with you and they will be picked up on wherever you go, as in, they’re not something you can hide. Being sectioned means it was on the serious side.

It won’t affect your decision to leave because no one will know, but may well affect your employment later. Being deported at a future date as unsuitable will then affect your chances as it will be on record. Think about it, how many teachers do you know who have mental health problems in your country? My advice would be don’t go until you yourself are sure you can cope with life free from medication or psychiatric intervention.