BA in TEFL degree?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

JohnnyBoy

BA in TEFL degree?

Unread post by JohnnyBoy »

Good day teachers,

I was hoping someone could shed some light and advise me on the following:

I currently do not have a degree. I know there's lots of grey areas and different opinions on teaching without one, but I prefer not to go that route. I came across this site, thetefluniversity.com/ba-degree-course.html, which claims to be a TEFL university (as the URL states) which offers a BA degree in TEFL.

Personally, I didn't know you could get a degree in TEFL specifically. Also, while this is a 3 year course they claim it can be finished within 6 months.

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge regarding the legitimacy of this university and the offered course. If one completes the course and receives the BA in TEFL, do you know whether this would suffice and be seen as to be on the same level as a BA in another field of study? Would this meet the employers requirement for needing to have a BA, or perhaps even be better received as it's a degree specifically in TEFL?

Any advice on the matter would be highly appreciated.
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: BA in TEFL degree?

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,

The number one rule in TEFL is that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. And this is no exception. That thing isn't going to be worth the paper it's written on. Need more convincing? Have a look at this: https://tefltastic.wordpress.com/2014/1 ... niversity/

The bottom line is that if you want a degree, you're going to have to invest a lot more time and money into getting one.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

Agree with Briona. There are no short cuts Johnny and the name ‘TheTEFLUniversity’ itself should be obvious and moreso, will be obvious to any recruiter. I’m afraid the piece of paper you would get would be laughed at. It’s on a par with the ‘University of Life’ ones.
Lola212
Rising Star

Unread post by Lola212 »

I agree.