Could someone help me with a lesson?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Terra

Could someone help me with a lesson?

Unread post by Terra »

Hello I just started working at a school in China less than a week ago and I am teaching students that are 14 and 15 years old. I also just received the book yesterday and I have already received a complaint from one of the other teachers that the students do not seem to be interested in my classes and my lessons need to be more engaging.

The school has not given me guidelines on what I should teach or even anything like a syllabus. Could anyone help me out like show me a website that could help me. Also does anyone have any English games that would be suitable for students in this age group (14 and 15).

Could anyone also recommend any type of speaking activities that I could use in class too.

Thank You
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Could someone help me with a lesson.

Unread post by Susan »

Have you looked through these forums, including the help desk. this has been the topic of many conversations.

Do you believe this other teacher who says negative things about your lessons? See for yourself what reaction you get from students.
rutherford

Unread post by rutherford »

Since you are new in the school, it takes time to understand the students, and what interest them. Also your class should be conversational. Ask them questions, do not do all the talking alone draw them in.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

Interest – Activity-Based Learning. A few years ago, I developed my own syllabus for the very reason that the book lessons were dry and uninteresting. Use topics based on teenage interest level; music, food, travel, public speaking . . . have a look and use these to make lesson plans. Tell them about the west, they’re fascinated with it. Download this song from Youtube (Firefly - A* Teens), you do the actions and get them to learn the words to increase self-confidence . . .

http://www.academia.edu/11730502/ABL_TEFL_SYLLABUS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QR_m2ij ... 2ijeS8#t=0
GaryF

Unread post by GaryF »

If you have use of an interactive whiteboard you could try some of the (grammar-focused) video-based speaking activities at Interactive English Grammar (below).