I don't understand this instruction

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

s-jalili

I don't understand this instruction

Unread post by s-jalili »

Hi all

What is the meaning of “You need to change the introduction to your presentation” ?
Please paraphrase it clearly.

:roll:
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: I don't understand this instruction

Unread post by Susan »

It means that the beginning of your presentation needs to be changed
s-jalili

Thank you. I got it.
s-jalili

Hi, dear moderator
What are sample tests relating to CLT approach?
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

Your test would have to be communicative. The design of it depends on what you're testing: is it a grammar point, vocabulary or one of the skills?

If you give us more info, we'll be able to give you some ideas.

Lucy
s-jalili

Well actually I mean the combination of grammar points, vocabulary and conversation.In fact, I need some samples for each one as they would be communicative. I'm sure your answer will be a little bit long.

I appreciate you in advance.
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

You need to think of a situation where native speakers would speak naturally using the grammar and vocab you are testing. That will be the basis of your test. Remember to grade all aspects of speaking: pronunciation, comprehensibility…..

Is there any particular reason you're designing your own test rather than using something provided in a course book?
s-jalili

Yes. It's for my students' final exam at school. I should design new tests out of their coursebook.
Could you offer me books provided with this kind of tests?
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

I’m all for keeping things simple. When it comes to testing, the easiest thing to do is take exercises from the course book that you didn’t use in class and use them in the test. You can use them exactly as they are or use the exercises as inspiration for your test.

I don’t understand why you want to undertake the design of a test, which is putting a lot of pressure on yourself. If you really want to design your own test, you can look at:

James D Brown & Hudson, T., (1998). The Alternatives in language assessments. TESOL Quarterly, Vol. 32,
Brown, H. D.. Language assessment: Principles and classroom practices.
Brown, D. J., (2005). Testing in language program. New York: McGraw-Hill.

These are online articles on designing tests:

http://yayweloveenglish.blogspot.fr/201 ... g-and.html

http://www.myenglishpages.com/blog/communicative-tests/
s-jalili

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Yes,You are right.It takes a long time to design a test. In fact, my students have "student book and workbook", but the tests within their workbook is not suitable for final exams. So I have to design new ones. Of course I'm free and easy with my students, because I'm a teacher not a tester. On the other hand, I should do my best in designing tests.

By your leave, let's wind up this discussion.

Last night I was reading an article about grammar games, by Jerry Thekes. I came across with the following paragraph that was incomprehensible for me. Would you mind paraphrasing it for me, please?

((This denomination comes from Thornbury (2010), who says that:
an enthusiasm for compartmentalization, inherited from grammars of classical languages, has given rise to the elaborate architecture of the so-called tense system – including such grammar McNuggets as the future-in-the-past, and the past perfect continuous, not to mention the conditionals, first, second and third – features of the language that have little or no linguistic, let alone psychological, reality.))

sincerely
S-Jalili
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

I'm sure any of our board members will be able to help you with the paraphrasing. It will open up an interesting discussion. Thanks for posting it.
s-jalili

Isn't there anyone to help me paraphrasing the following paragraph?

an enthusiasm for compartmentalization, inherited from grammars of classical languages, has given rise to the elaborate architecture of the so-called tense system – including such grammar McNuggets as the future-in-the-past, and the past perfect continuous, not to mention the conditionals, first, second and third – features of the language that have little or no linguistic, let alone psychological, reality.))
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

An example is friends planning to meet; in this situation native speakers would naturally use future tenses and more specifically the present continuous for future plans.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

s-jalili wrote:Isn't there anyone to help me paraphrasing the following paragraph?

If you ever do a Ph.D in Applied Linguistics, you may well need reference to Thornbury. As a TEFL teacher, stick to the basics. It is very unlikely that you will ever need reference to Thornbury in any EFL classroom, or need to make sense of academic literature at that level.
http://www.academia.edu/15092580/Introd ... esson_Plan