One to One English Teaching

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Negin

One to One English Teaching

Unread post by Negin »

My dear friends:
I am Negin. I am a 33 year old girl and from Iran. My native language is Persian. I have BA in English Language and Literature. I am a new EFL teacher and teach independently.
I am going to teach English to a 34 year old girl, one to one. She is also from Iran and speaks Persian. She has BA in psychology and works as a hair-dresser. She is going to one of the American English speaking countries to continue her studies in psychology and live there. She has gone to English classes for some terms before but has not improved so she is going to try one to one teaching now. She is not a true beginner.
I have not taught one to one so far. Would you please help me to be an effective teacher in my first experience?
1. I want to choose the most suitable material (book, CD, cassette, ... ) for a one to one teaching and her conditions but there are a lot of English teaching materials and I can not choose. What is your suggestion and why?
2. According to what I explained, from what level should I start?
3. Is there any difference between teaching to one person and teaching to a class? What are they?
Waiting your kindness.
Thanks.
Awalls86
Rising Star

Re: One to One English Teaching

Unread post by Awalls86 »

1. I can't claim to know the full range of materials which are available and many may be better suited than others. In many cases you will have to adapt the materials anyway. Personally I like the New Cutting Edge series because the ideas it contains and questions it provokes have fuelled much conversation in my lessons. Anything that engages your student's interest is unlikely to be a waste of time.
2. Start low and build up quickly if she finds it too easy. This will allow her to build some confidence by using what she is already familiar with. I'm not sure what level she is, but you could always find a short placement test online.
3. Many differences. One on one has the advantage that you can really get to understand your student - their wants, needs, strengths and weaknesses. The downside however is that they only get to speak to one person, and finding ways to repeat language can be challenging and seem tedious to the student.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Negin

Re: One to One English Teaching

Unread post by Negin »

Dear Awalls:
You helped me a lot. Thank you so much. Hope to help me in future again.