Help! Teaching towards IELTS test in China

For general discussion between teachers - or use one of the forums below for more specific topics.

Moderator: Susan

Help! Teaching towards IELTS test in China

Unread postby taylorchina » 21 Sep 2013, 10:22

So I am brand new to both this blog and to tefl, so bear with me. I am teaching english to chinese university students. They are preparing for the IELTS test, and I am specifically teaching the verbal section. I know that basically means I need to get them to talk as much as possible, but I have a slight problem: their level is extremely low. I am at the point where I have a very hard time explaining any instructions in class. Some students understand at a basic level (and maybe) will pass the test given their current trajectory. Most others just stare blankly and clearly cannot understand or say very much. They are much better at writing and reading, but even there they demonstrate a lot of grammar mistakes. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to increase their speaking level quickly! I want to give them a chance on this test, but it seems that their university has given up on them!
taylorchina
Registered Member

Return to General Teacher Discussion