ORDERING IN A RESTAURANT — Class activity

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

MaureenQC

ORDERING IN A RESTAURANT — Class activity

Unread post by MaureenQC »

There are 25 students of mixed ability in my English conversation classes (they are French speakers). They are basically mature adults ranging in age from 35 to 65 with the average closer to 50. The classes are approximately 50% conversation/discussion and 50% written and oral activities including games to increase their vocabulary. Since they all travel to some extent, some of the vocabulary is geared to anything related to that subject.

My problem: I have a fair amount of very interesting restaurant dialogue material (lots of real-life menus) but what I see out there in the forums is role-playing with some ss taking the part of the waiter and some, the part of the customer(s). I don’t see my students playing the waiter because there is little chance of them ever being employed as such and I don’t think the vocabulary used by the waiter would be very practical for them.

I thought of playing the waiter myself but am afraid with a class this size, a good number of the class will disengage as I play to a small number of the students.

Any suggestions??? If this helps, my group of 25 is divided into groups (1 beginner, 2 intermediate and 1 advance). Most of our activities are done in sub-groups and on occasion with the entire class.

I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.
Joe
Admin

Re: ORDERING IN A RESTAURANT — Class activity

Unread post by Joe »

The bit about not playing the waiter doesn't hold water for me - at all. Waiters have to understand customers and customers have to understand waiters.

Furthermore, whose running this class? You or your students?

:)
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

I agree with Matter that somebody being the waiter is inevitable and taking that role will help them understand waiters better in real restaurants (the same reason I get students taking the examiner role in speaking exam preparation). However, to cut down on the time spent doing that you could have groups of three or four with just one waiter and also do conversations about menus between customers, e.g. "What do you recommend?" and "Shall we get a starter?" This might actually be a more realistic use of English for some students, e.g. those who rarely leave France but have to entertain foreign guests, suppliers or clients.
lomewbartho

Unread post by lomewbartho »

Hey Guys me Lomew. Well Josef i think that your statement is absolutely right like waiters and customers should understand each other. And in short the responsibilities of waiter are to provide prompt and respectful customers in restaurants. Waiters should be able to assume a customer's needs. Thanks!!
pauldev

Unread post by pauldev »

Hi!

Best to put them in groups with one waiter and several customers. Then ask them to change roles. This gives everybody an opportunity to practice.

Good luck!

Please visit the following link to view a range of high quality EFL training and teaching materials designed by Paul Devenny, Director of Education from the UK with 12 years experience.

http://www.e-junkie.com/EliteEFLTeachingResources