Validity of Ma in Applied Linguistics from Spain

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

SpringJim

Validity of Ma in Applied Linguistics from Spain

Unread post by SpringJim »

Hi,
The title might not be snappy but it says it all. I'm considering taking an Ma in Applied Linguistics and possibly in Spain. As I understand it after the Bologna agreement there is now standardisation and recognition across Europe in Higher Education, but does anyone know about across the world?

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm in the middle east, and the money here is considerably better with an Ma, and I'd like the option at some point to come back here in the future. However, an American colleague said that some institutions in the middle east do not accept Master qualifications obtained in Spain. This could be complete rubbish, and I can't find any mention of it on the internet so any real knowledge on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Validity of Ma in Applied Linguistics from Spain

Unread post by Alex Case »

Although it is not often a written rule, it is true that some employers only accept MAs from English speaking countries. This is mainly to exclude local MAs and some dodgy online ones, but if you are applying for a popular job your MA not being from UK, USA or Australia might find your CV straight in the bin. Often the same thing with distance MAs too.