Do you recommend degree and which TEFL course?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

MikeyG

Do you recommend degree and which TEFL course?

Unread post by MikeyG »

Hello there,

My name is Mike and I am 24 years old. I am currently considering the idea of teaching English as a foreign language abroad in maybe Cambodia or Vietnam, at least somewhere in Asia. I have GCSE's and 3 A levels, however I do not have a degree. Do you think it is necessary for myself to first get a degree or is it possible to find teaching jobs abroard without a degree? Personally I would like to attempt the 'I to I 140 hour course' immediately and go for it, however I am willing to put the time in and gain a degree if need be. Also which TEFL course would you recommend, as there are quite a few. I have no teaching experience

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by Joe on 15 Dec 2010, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more meaningful subject line
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Do you recommend degree and which TEFL course?

Unread post by Alex Case »

If you want to apply for the best jobs and/ or make a career of it, you will need both a degree and a certificate that is considerably more well-respected than an i-to-i one, e.g. Cambridge CELTA. You will also need a degree for a working visa in most countries, although I don't know anything about those two places in particular.
MikeyG

Re: Do you recommend degree and which TEFL course?

Unread post by MikeyG »

Thanks for the response,

Looks like I'll do a degree of some kind before I even consider gaining a teaching qualification then, this will give me something to fall back on in later life anyway. Am in full time employment, was hoping that my ticket out of my office job leading onto doing something beneficial has grinded to a hault until I obtain a degree. Appreciate the help..