Using Web 2.0 Tools in the ESL Classroom - any tips?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

EFLAngel

Using Web 2.0 Tools in the ESL Classroom - any tips?

Unread post by EFLAngel »

I keep hearing how important it is to use Web 2.0 tools in the classroom. I'd like to experiment with a few, but I get overwhelmed whenever I start doing research.

I'm not even sure I really know what "Web 2.0" is.

Are there any easy tools I can start with that won't be difficult for my English learners to pick up?

Any tips or advice very welcome!

Thank you.
YaoKB

Re: Using Web 2.0 Tools in the ESL Classroom - any tips?

Unread post by YaoKB »

Hello EFLAngel,

I've copied and pasted this off wikipedia: 'The term "Web 2.0" is commonly associated with web applications that facilitate interactive information sharing, interoperability, user-centered design, and collaboration on the World Wide Web. A Web 2.0 site gives its users the free choice to interact or collaborate with each other in a social media dialogue as creators of user-generated content in a virtual community, in contrast to websites where users are limited to the passive viewing of content that was created for them.'

Examples of Web 2.0 include social-networking sites, blogs, wikis, video-sharing sites, hosted services, and web applications.

So, guess what? Technically, this TEFL.NET (and this forum) is web 2.0!

How many Web 2.0 tools have I used whilst teaching? Very few! --one reason being that I tend to design my own tools and set them up locally on networked computers in the classroom when possible, if I decide I want IT to assist the lesson. For example, a slide show in Powerpoint where I've chosen the pictures and the learners (in groups of 2 or 3, etc.) are free to interpret them and develop a story (changing the order, too, if they like). The results are quite funny! But, www.mes-english.com has a good crossword generator. Users just type in the clues and the answers (...careful --sometimes their pictures don't match the clues...but fortunately the pictures are an option).

I think, fundamentally, what's being inferred as important in the use of Web 2.0 tools that you're hearing is the "information sharing" and "collaboration" part which naturally gives learners a sense of empowerment and gets them contributing to how the class as a group is being taught.

Happy experimenting!