Help with Music in Language Classroom Research Please?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

DwayneEngh

Help with Music in Language Classroom Research Please?

Unread post by DwayneEngh »

Hello! I am doing research for a Masters in English Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics. I am looking for anyone who teaches English language to teen or adult learners to fill in a short questionnaire. If you're willing to complete an online survey about use of music in the language-learning classroom, please click on the link below:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DwayneEnghELTMusicSurvey

If you want more information before you decide, please feel free to read on:

Dear Teaching Friends and Colleagues,

Hello! I am looking for volunteers who are English Language teachers of secondary and post-secondary (teen and adult) learners to complete a survey for my research (which should only take about 15 minutes). I know June is a busy time with assignments, teaching load, examinations and/or research of your own. I greatly appreciate any time you can give. If you are willing, I have two requests:

1. Please read the rest of this information and click on the link to fill out the survey on SurveyMonkey.
2. Please forward this information to any and all colleagues you can think of that would be applicable and may be willing to do the survey. I am looking for as many respondents as possible for the questionnaire portion of the research.

INVITATION:

I would like to invite you to participate in this postgraduate research project, which forms part of my Masters in English Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics at KING’S COLLEGE LONDON. If you agree to take part, you will be asked to fill in a questionnaire on SurveyMonkey. This should only take about 15 minutes.

The aim of my research is to perform a needs analysis of secondary and post-secondary teacher attitudes and present practice regarding the use of music in the language classroom.

Literature on this topic is rare, and what does exist relates principally to primary education. Because of that gap, the focus of this research is on teachers who teach teen or adult learners.

From that analysis, I hope to develop a practical “tool box” that any teacher could walk into her/his classroom and use music effectively in a manner that would not only be enjoyable for the learners, but would increase vocabulary, phonological, grammatical, sociolinguistic and cultural competences.

Please note there are no right or wrong answers and all responses are confidential. I am only interested in your personal opinion. Please do not feel under any pressure to take part in this research. However, I really would be most grateful for your help with this. If you are interested, I have attached a document which explains the research in more detail.

Please click on the link below to fill out the survey. If your email browser has a level of security that blocks an active link, please copy the link and paste into your web browser to access the survey.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DwayneEnghELTMusicSurvey

Thank you very much in advance for your time and assistance.

Wishing you all the best in life and teaching,
Dwayne Engh
Avocado

Re: Help with Music in Language Classroom Research Please?

Unread post by Avocado »

I went through and completed it. It's actually interesting and gave me a few ideas for using music in the classroom.
DwayneEngh

Re: Help with Music in Language Classroom Research Please?

Unread post by DwayneEngh »

Hello friends and colleagues,

I just wanted to say thank you very much for your time and support with the survey. I have received many responses, and hope to start analysis on Monday, July 11.

If, by some chance, you have not had time to participate in the online survey and would still like to, you have a couple more days to do so until it closes on Sunday, July 10.

Thanks again and all the best!

Best regards,
Dwayne