Interested in teaching overseas.

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Scrappy

Interested in teaching overseas.

Unread post by Scrappy »

Hello, I have always been interested in living/teaching in Thailand and have decided to look into the possibility.However, I have a few questions.

I live in USA,but was born in another country. I barely speak my native language but speak fluent English. However I may still not be considered a "native speaker". Will this be a problem for me in obtaining a job ? Would they take into consideration the fact that I speak fluent English,and in fact its the ONLY language I am fluent at or will they be hesitant due to the fact that I was not born in the USA? I am a US citizen if that helps.

Are college degrees required? Obviously they are helpful in order to compete in the job market,but are they a must for getting a job ?

Is it possible to stay there long term (in terms of legal status) and how hard is it to obtain legal work visa ? I know the school will help but I am sure there is still going to be a lot of frustration and work left. I do not mind but I just want to make sure it is possible before I make the commitment, I have plans on staying there long term and would hate to have to leave prematurely because of legal complications.

Thank you!
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Interested in teaching overseas.

Unread post by systematic »

Hi, do check out the other forums oand theier threads on this board as your questions, particularly about Thailand, are among the most hotly discussed subjects here.

In short:

- Where you were born is not important. What matters is that you speak English without a trace of a foreign accent. No serious organisation will give you a job without interviewing you first (at least on the telephone).

- To teach in Thailand you must have a recognised university degree.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
jonecox

Unread post by jonecox »

I looked into this and apparently any training has to be done in state schools and all schools in dubai are private. I think you would have to do a year in state schools in the UK to qualify for QTS but check with your training provider. Ask if Dubai schools would be eligible for training purpose-explain they are private. Not sure if you would only be qualified for private schools.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

I've checked back on this thread, and I'm fairly sure the OP was interested in teaching in Thailand, where there is absolutely no requirement to qualify for QTS or to do a year in state schools in the UK. In fact I don't know of any countries that do insist.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.