How much to charge?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

smiler

How much to charge?

Unread post by smiler »

Hi Im a newly qualified tefl teacher looking for tefl work in mid wales which seems quite promising at the minute but am unsure as to how much I shoudl charge. The school receives funding for this teaching and so I would probably be employed by the local council and was wondering how much I should charge? they have offered me 9 pounds an hour?? any info would be gratefully received
eirlys
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: how much to charge?

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Eirlys,

Congratulations!

I'm not sure I understand what your situation is. Are you looking for work as a private EFL tutor or are you looking for employment with schools?

If you are looking for work with a school, I think your margin for negotiating a salary is fairly slim. In both cases, it's important to do your homework: check similar job ads to see what salary is mentioned, talk to other teachers to get their ideas. As for private tutoring, look at the ads of other tutors. How much do they charge? And how do you compare to them re experience and qualifications?

I'll also put your question into an open forum. I'm out of touch with the UK EFL scene and don't know what the salaries are like there now.

Lucy