choosing the appropriate books

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

moguido78

choosing the appropriate books

Unread post by moguido78 »

Hi everybody,

Could anyone give me any advice? I'm trying to choose good books for different levels, from 3 year-old students to 12 year-old students. I've been having a look at the pearson longman catalogue but I´m not sure if the two new books for preschool students will be any good. I used English Adventure B with my 4 year-old students last year but I didn't like it very much in the end. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mónica
ale_blogger

Unread post by ale_blogger »

Hi, Monica.

There's a wide variety of books where to choose from but you have to be very careful before choosing one. It must be you who decides what to teach your students. Don't let the publishing companies decide for you. I don't like English Adventure either, by the way.

On the link below you can read a short article about it:

http://www.universitymagazine.com.ar/85 ... classroom/
Glenski
Rising Star

Unread post by Glenski »

Monica,
Where do you teach? Conversation school? Mainstream school? International school? Your needs may be different depending on what type of institute you work in.

Longman is just one publisher of ELT books. Have a look at the many others out there (Oxford, Cambridge, Thomson, just to name a few). Ask for sample copies and thumb through them. You can't really get a good feeling for books just by looking at the blurbs in the catalogs.
eflclassroom

Unread post by eflclassroom »

For that age range, Let's Go seems to get a lot of good reviews, thumbs up....

But I will caution too, a book does not a course or teacher make! Good luck.

DD
jessemarks

Re: choosing the appropriate books

Unread post by jessemarks »

Its great!! Thanks for the post.
Lola212
Rising Star

Re: choosing the appropriate books

Unread post by Lola212 »

Find a book series that you are interested in too. Some are harder than others to relate to. Lots of luck and thanks for teaching.