teaching multimedia

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

spiv

teaching multimedia

Unread post by spiv »

Hi,

I've been reading up on TEFL courses.
I wonder if it's possible to teach any other courses, besides English. I've done some investigation regarding multimedia and webrelated education. From what I've been reading lots of schools are way behind with this material. They teach software that's hardly in use anymore, they teach lots of things not worth anything anymore on the market. Webdesign in methods of the late 80's...
I'd love to teach the new methods. I'd love to teach anything computerrelated, going from "where's my mouse and what's used it for?" to high end webdevelopment and even video-editing, image manipulation, etc...and this for everyone, young/old/teacher/student/private/public (yes, lots of teachers need some computerclasses to ;)

My aim is on Indonesia/Malaysia/Philippines.
Now, would this be possible, in a reasonable sense, to accomplish this?
I've been thinking to follow a TEFL just for the sake of practice and learn to know people in the field. But teaching English is not my main intention, although they 'll learn usingit in a practical way, because my lessons would be in English of course.

So, my question is: any advice on this topic?

thanks in advance!
shlee
Rising Star

advice...

Unread post by shlee »

I represent an online program offering TEFL training to students. While I cannot advertise without permission on this forum, I will tell you a few things about the differences.
  • 1. Online doesn't always mean online - Many courses that offer their online version of training are actually no different than correspondence by mail courses from several years back. The say they are online, but they offer their modules and interaction solely through email correspondence.

2. An online program should possess all of the features and tools for instruction so that the student has minimal need to do any course related work offline or in other PC applications such as Word, Excel, etc.

3. Many programs have simply videotaped their in class lectures and placed them in video format on the web. In the industry, this is known as the talking head, i.e. a video course that is usually lengthy and covers many things that are actually unimportant to the focus of the learning.
These are only three things that quickly come to mind. If you want, send me a message and I can share some more information...I hope this helps answer your question a little...I suppose it is something you should investigate thoroughly before spending your money on something I am sure will be a disappointment to you...

To answer your first question, YES, online instruction can be used for virtually any subject or content area if you have the right course platform on which to build your instructional materials...Our TEFL Training program uses an Open source program from ATutor that is nothing short of spectacular...
spiv

Unread post by spiv »

Hi SHlee, thanks for the reply, but I think you missed my point.
I'm not asking about online courses. I'm more asking whats the chance to teach other subjects, mainly in the multimedia/computer area, in south asian countries.

So any advice how to start out with this, is welcome.

thanks.
shlee
Rising Star

Asian Connection...

Unread post by shlee »

Getting into the instructional market in Asia is tough to say the least...The high tech industry is pretty well locked up by the tech types already here...You will have to hit the pavement pretty hard to find an in...Not sure about other Asian countries, but South Korea is extremely hard because of the focus they have on developing and using their own people first...However, with that said it is possible if you do your homework first...
spiv

Unread post by spiv »

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I know about South-Korea, I even work with a south korean over the web ;)
Regarding computers & high tech they are very up to date.

Thing is I search it more in less developped areas, where the need should be high to educate children and adults in this field.

I see it also as a perfect way to learn and practice english, because most software and communication happens in english in computerworld.

Maybe I save up and start on my own by teaching private lessons and advertising in newspapers.
Its not my intention to gain lots of money, just surviving will do. I wanna do it for the people not for self benefits.