How do I break into EAP?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in general. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

Dogmatix
Registered Member

How do I break into EAP?

Unread postby Dogmatix » 03 Aug 2014, 09:47

Hi all,

I am a CELTA-qualified EFL teacher with about 4 years experience teaching general English and IELTS. I am looking to get out of my current role as, although I love the job itself, I have run into a dispute with my employer over pay and conditions. I am not optimistic about resolving it, so I've reluctantly decided that it's time to move on.

The problem is that the job opportunities where I live are few and I am not willing to stray too far from home. One option I am currently looking at is EAP. The research I've done up to now suggests that it is a difficult area to break into. I thought my experience of teaching IELTS would stand me in good stead, but Sessional Tutor positions all seem to ask for a first degree and an MA/DELTA, plus experience.

I am planning to take my DELTA, but I still feel that this might not be enough. I am essentially looking for some advice from EAP professionals on how to make myself more employable in this field. Can anyone help?

Return to “Jobs Discussion”