4 Questions I need help

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Viajero

4 Questions I need help

Unread post by Viajero »

Please if you can, help me with these four questions (they've been driving me crazy!)

1. I am currently a student at community college, but I'm going to transfer to PSU this fall. I am going to get my bachelors in applied linguistics and get my T.E.S.L certificate. I have been told to make sure the place I get my certificate from should be certified and accredited because supposably almost anyone can offer a certificate. Do you think Portland State University is legitimate?

2. Is the T.E.S.L just as recognized for overseas teaching as the C.E.L.T.A and the T.E.F.L because my goal is overseas teaching?

3. I'm a native speaker of English, and I want to be the best teacher I can be, but I get a bit worried when I think of all the English I don't know-- grammar, structure and participles. I know they teach you how to teach others in the T.E.S.L, but for advance English language is that what they teach you about in applied linguistics?

4. I know that after four or possibly five years of college, I will have built up student loans to pay back and right after I get out of college I want teach somewhere in Brasil, but the real is weak against the dollar and I will have to keep paying back student loans (of course overseas teacher's do not become what they are for the money) yet I am worried about not being able to teach in certain places because of being restricted by student loans. Anyone who has gone to college and being in this career, you probably had colleagues that had student loans. Do you have any advice about paying back student loans while overseas?

Thanks!!
amm65

Unread post by amm65 »

Hi there -- I'll try to help with your questions...

Regarding #1. "Do you think Portland State University is legitimate?"
-->I can't say difinitively, but but gut says probably yes. I'd research with your university and outside bodies to be positive.

2. Is the T.E.S.L just as recognized for overseas teaching as the C.E.L.T.A and the T.E.F.L because my goal is overseas teaching?
--> This shouldn't be a problem. I've researched this question, and both are recognized. Sometimes the CELTA is preferred in the E.U., but TEFL is likewise recognized.

3. I'm a native speaker of English, and I want to be the best teacher I can be, but I get a bit worried when I think of all the English I don't know-- grammar, structure and participles.
-->Depending on the age of students, course you teach, etc., these aspects of grammar and structure may or may not be important in your job. Generally, as a native English speaker and with the education you're embarking upon, you'll be able to handle the majority of grammar questions that arise. If somethings comes up you don't know 100% on the spot, you can always research it and give the answer during the next class. I would keep trying to learn as much as possible, but don't stress unnecessarily about being prepared.

4. I know that after four or possibly five years of college, I will have built up student loans ...
--> This is also an aspect of teaching I've contemplated, researched, (and face personally). Perhaps the best way to pay back loans is to first teach in an Asian country such as S. Korea or Japan where you can earn enough to pay back loans. Also, you can save up enough to then go to Brazil, etc. where the pay is less.

Hope this info is of some help to you! Best of luck with your future plans and current studies!