Teaching with just a Tefl

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

ianmkent

Teaching with just a Tefl

Unread post by ianmkent »

Hi,

I am sure this has been asked so many times before but everyone is different so here goes.

I am English and English is my first language, I speak Dutch fluently but do not hold any qualifications in Dutch, I also speak French very well and hold a open university certificate in French, I speak some Italian and will be able to speak very well within a year. I am also intended to learn some Spanish to gain a college qualification soon.

I am two years away from finishing a Degree in English and French with the open University and will have a diploma in English and French by next summer.

I have only completed a tefl express certificate. I am also considering doing a three day course with UK-TEFL shortly.

I am also considering getting some teaching experience teaching English before I go.

My question is would my language make it easier for me to find a tefl job in Italy without a Celta or a degree. I intend to go to southern Italy next year and start looking for work in person. I am also intending to teach English on a freelance basis by placing adverts in Italy.
Elissa

Re: Teaching with just a Tefl

Unread post by Elissa »

Without experience or certification, I think you might have a hard time finding work in Europe, I'm afraid.

I've been teaching for 4 years, I have a PGCE, a TEFL (on-site) and modules 1, 2 and 3 of the TKT at band 4. It still took me nearly 3 months to find a job in Europe because there are lots of experienced qualified teachers and not that many openings in Europe right now! Most of the schools I looked at in Italy were asking for upwards of 3 years experience, plus degree, plus ESL certification.

When teaching ESL, having knowledge of your host countries language is not particularly helpful. Most schools don't want you to speak to the students in their native language, they want full immersion in English. The fact you are able to go to Italy in person and look for work will help you, but really the best thing for you to do if you want to teach seriously, is concentrate on your degree, get yourself TEFL or CELTA certified and then focus on teaching.

To gain experience in the mean time, you could take on some summer camp work in the UK. They don't usually require all the qualifications and it would help you gain a place in Europe when you are qualified.
ianmkent

Unread post by ianmkent »

Thanks for the reply, I think I will do some training and maybe try and get some experience some where like else first.
kaithegreene
Rising Star

Unread post by kaithegreene »

Generally speaking, most schools who are likely to provide their teachers with decent pay and working conditions tend to look for a Trinity Cert TEFL or CELTA.

The summer camp idea is good - lots of summer camps need activity leaders and that'll give you some more insight into what EFL is all about.

Good luck!