Prospective teacher advice

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in general. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

Prospective teacher advice

Unread postby Augustus » 01 Oct 2011, 15:23

Hi all,

I've read some of the forums before but this is my first time posting...

Am giving some serious thought to doing a teaching abroad certificate. Was thinking of either China or Japan, partly because I've always wanted to go there and I've heard that's where the work is. Is that the case?

About me: I am a native English speaker and have a 2:1 degree in English (literature). After uni, I worked as a teaching assistant in primary schools and an adult's college. Then I went on to work in a children's home for autistic teens, using simple sentences and alternative communication methods. Also I draw comics (this may seem apropos of nothing but a friend of mine did a TEFL and said that his being able to draw came in handy).

1) Is my work experience relevant or not?

2) I got made redundant at the kid's home so could I still get a teaching post now that I'm not working?

3) I also know that the prospective TEFLer needs a qualification (gone are the days where an English speaker could just go and work by virtue of speaking English alone). Any recommendations of courses (though I've heard the CELTA is pretty good?) and ones to avoid (if not more important).

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks...
Augustus
Registered Member

Return to Jobs Discussion