! UK Regional or Eastern European/Baltic Jobs with CELTA?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

TwoFigs

! UK Regional or Eastern European/Baltic Jobs with CELTA?

Unread post by TwoFigs »

Hello folks,

I am considering taking a CELTA course in a Cheltenham institution. I'd be in the CELTA-only club, having not completed uni due to some health problems. I have a handful of good A-Levels for what it's worth, and it was a very respectable university I failed to graduate from. :) I am a native English speaker with a little German and less Russian.

I live near the town and would be interested to know if there are likely to be localish jobs available to someone in my situation, I have the impression from friends that Cheltenham itself does have a number of educational facilities serving international students but if people have previously found work anywhere in Gloucestershire or accessible nearby towns and cities would be of interest.

Teaching overseas does interest me, however. While I've read clearly on the internet that European EFL jobs are for graduates, I was thinking more of Eastern Europe, particularly the prospect of teaching in Lithuania or Latvia interests me a lot. Work in the Czech Republic looks inviting too.

Thanks for reading, and if you do have anything to say, whether to politely suggest or furiously declaim, I'd love to hear from you.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: ! UK Regional or Eastern European/Baltic Jobs with CELTA

Unread post by Alex Case »

You'd be very lucky to earn more than someone in Macdonalds as a TEFL teacher in the UK with no experience or degree. Sorry, but that's the way it is...
natbot

Re: ! UK Regional or Eastern European/Baltic Jobs with CELTA

Unread post by natbot »

If you went to Poland. for example, You could live comfortably. It would include being able to go for a beer most evenings and exploring some of the country at the weekend. I imagine its similar or even more so the further east you go. I think czech is a little more expensive and your money would stretch further!