Does age matter in getting a job?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

jimtekippe

Does age matter in getting a job?

Unread post by jimtekippe »

I am 62 and will complete CELTA training in Feb 2012. I have a masters degree in secondary Special Education (all areas) for K-12 with 27 years of experience and a masters in educational administration (grades 7-12) having been a principal for 6 years prior to retirement in 2011. I am in good health and would like to teach overseas - Asia, South America, or Europe preferred but very open. Am I automatically excluded from consideration due to being over 60? Thanks for the help!
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Does age matter in getting a job?

Unread post by Alex Case »

Just like getting a job back home, it will be very difficult but not impossible. With your experience, I'd try international schools rather than TEFL chains.

I'm guessing you're American, so Europe might be difficult for visa reasons.
JimmyChina

Unread post by JimmyChina »

Dear Sir

This is Heather at JimmyChina.

According to our experiences in finding foreign candidates teaching placement in China, you might not have the chance to teach here due to your age. The main reason is the age limit for work visa application in China.

Hope our suggestion help you on your choosing.
markc
Rising Star

Unread post by markc »

It's tougher when you are over 60, but you have a background in education, if not TESOL. I think you have a chance, but you will need to send out more enquiries and applications.
pokedmund
Rising Star

Unread post by pokedmund »

Different Countries, different cultures, different opinions on age.

For Hong Kong, you could do O.K.

Hong Kongers love the foreign look, they love the native language and this would work in your favour.

You've mentioned you've been a teacher most of your life. This is advantageous towards "selling" you to the parents and students. If you've still got that passion to teach, it'll shine through and I'm sure the parents will accept you.

Will finding a job be difficult? Yes, because every year, many people from around the world come to HK to teach English.

Age is not a problem, but if you really wanted me to point a problem out, I can only say that some parents complain that their students don't find the teacher stimulating, they find the teacher unappealing, they think the teacher is too old, they want a better looking teacher, they want someone who plays games and thinks creatively.

Which is why, if you can get a position in a school, you'll bypass these problems.

Definately send out CVs now to potential employers, even before you get your CELTA certificate. It's nice to get a headstart out there.

Good luck with teaching in the future!
neverstopped

Unread post by neverstopped »

If an old wine is considered good and retro furniture can be taken out of the attic after twenty years I'm sure it's possible to get a job after a few months' break on the job, especially since those were spent in training. I'm sure that applying yourself even after your retirement will go a long way in showing that you are still able to do whatever is needed for teaching. it might be hard when the employers only look at the numbers, but a bit of dedication can go a long way.
taylorsuni

Unread post by taylorsuni »

Different countries have different rules and regulations. For government jobs you are not eligible.
JNSrecruit

Unread post by JNSrecruit »

Hi everybody my name is Daniel from JNS Recruitment and i just wanted to shed a little light here from my point of view.

I specialize in TEFL jobs in Saudi Arabia and from my experience the reason why it is sometimes harder for an older person to gain a position is that the company employing you will have to pay alot more on insurance compared to a younger Teacher.

In my opinion experience should favour youth but this is the way it is sometimes.

When i am doing my recruitment i usually do cut off at 61 but thats just from experience why i set that limit but to be honest there is no harm to keep trying.

I'm sure a company will be willing to take on your wealth of knowlege.

Take a look at our website and see if you can gain more information in what jobs are available and so on.

http://www.jnsrecruitment.co.uk