Why EFL in Mexico does not work long term

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Professor

Why EFL in Mexico does not work long term

Unread post by Professor »

EFL in Mexico is OK for two groups basically and then for not more than a year or two for the first group.

1. Young college graduates looking for international experience before going to graduate school.This is a good gig for a year or two before you start graduate school or just return home to find full time work.

2. Retired people from the U.S. for example. If you are retired and have a nice check coming in every month to your bank in the U.S. then teaching EFL in Mexico may work for you.

So now to answer my question...Why EFL in Mexico does not work long term.

1. In most of the language institutes there are NO...
A) No retirement plan
B) No benefits package
C) No sick days
D) No vacation days
E) No life Insurance
F) Employers sometimes not paying on time or at all.
G) Difficult or impossible to move up.

EFL in Mexico DOES NOT WORK. Colegios can work if you get in the right one. You can get benefits and PAID HOLIDAYS AND SICK DAYS. But you most likely will not be teaching EFL at the colegio. Social Studies perhaps but NOT EFL.

Just some advice for any newbies thnking about coming to Mexico to teach EFL. Only do it for a year or two and no more. And bring some savings!!!

That is all.
pmcguire

Re: Why EFL in Mexico does not work long term

Unread post by pmcguire »

Thanks for the information.
zyradowry

Unread post by zyradowry »

Why is this?
neverstopped

Unread post by neverstopped »

That's too bad. I was thinking of going to Mexico, actually. Do you have experience with any other Latin American countries or know about the experiences of someone else? It would be great to still go there, but I don't have a money tree, so missing a pay cheque would be a problem for me.