Teaching in the UK

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Katharine

Teaching in the UK

Unread post by Katharine »

I've been working at a well-known and reputable language school for over three years. They trained me and regularly observe my lessons. I have two more years experience apart from at this company. I work in Austria where it is almost impossible to do a CELTA certificate. My problem is that I want to go back and teach English in the UK. I'd like to even just work at a summer school to get some money to do some further training. No-where seems to be able to give me a job. I can't afford to pay 1000 pounds for a course whilst I'm not working. I'm not even sure a CELTA course is right for me, as I have so much experience. I phoned a UK branch of the language school I've been working at today, who told me they're sure I'm a good and experienced teacher, but they can't employ me because of the British Council accredidation. Can anyone give me any tips on how to find a job? I'm really not just someone who thinks they can teach English because they speak English; I really do know what I'm doing. I hope you can help.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching in the UK

Unread post by Alex Case »

It doesn't solve your money problems, but it sounds like you could just skip the CELTA and do a DELTA or Trinity DipTESOL:

http://www.tefl.net/tefl-courses/faq-tefl-diploma.htm