Looking for first teaching job

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

elrasho

Looking for first teaching job

Unread post by elrasho »

Hello everyone,

I recently finished the 4-week intensive CELTA course and am now looking for work as an EFL teacher. I am based in the UK but want to work in the middle east or Asia. I've looked at some TEFL job websites but all I see are recruitment firms (Englishfirst, Saxoncourt, Bell....).

Can anyone one recommend a good recruitment agency to start out with? I've read mostly bad things about them all, I guess people who have had good experiences don't tell everyone about them... or no one has had a good experience with these agencies :(

I'm itching to get out there and start my career as an ELF teacher so any advice would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Looking for first teaching job

Unread post by systematic »

Hi Elrasho,

Did you try entering the words agency or agencies in the forum search box? You'll find that many of our members have already posted about their experience with many agencies around the world.

In a nutshell, getting a job through an agency is not always any better than getting a job through any other means. If you are thinking of working abroad, remember that the best jobs, with the exception of the elite international schools that recruit through the TES or their own bona fide agencies or parent schools in your country, go to those who are already in the country and on call for an interview at a moment’s notice, and who can dress for the part. Anyone who has the confidence to stand in front of a class of kids or a conference room full of executives should also be self-assured enough to travel alone and ask around.

Check out our articles pages for more advice on finding a job that suits you.
elrasho

Unread post by elrasho »

So are you saying the best way for me to get a job abroad is to move to the country I want to teach in? That's a bit far fetched wouldn't you say
Last edited by systematic on 13 Nov 2010, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted quote. Not necessary for an answer to an immediately preceding post.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Hi Irasho, perhps your thoughts on wanting to be a TEFL teacher abroad are a bit far fetched ;)
I'm saying that it might be an idea to check out the other threads and posts in our forums, and the dozens of articles in our archives and on TEFLTASTIC to see what others are saying.

From my point of view as a recruiter, if I'm waiting for someone I had a telephone or video interview with last week to make up their mind, and someone walks into my office this afternoon with the right clothes, the right quals, and the right manner, I'll send him back to his hotel in a taxi to collect his bags and move into our free accommodation tonight and start teaching tomorrow.

I will have saved my school nearly £1,000 in air fares, and the uncertainty of someone who might change their mind again at the last minute, or who might do a runner after receiving their first month's salary.

BTW: You're partly on the right track - but check again, some of the names you mentioned might not simply be recruitment agencies. EF for example has a whole chain of cram school in Southeast Asia. Do take a moment to Google the names of those firms, and of course others, and see what teachers who have worked for them are saying. Remember that mainstream schools advertise on niche TEFL/TESOL websites, and don't forget that very few people take the impulsive initiative to post about their good experience - Internet forums are more often a magnet for those who have an axe to grind :)
flimflam

Unread post by flimflam »

Hey,
I see this post is from November so you've probably found what you're looking for by now, but if you're interested in China I would recommend Gold Star Recruitment. He had a shambles at one point when he sent me some stuff that clearly wasn't for me, but otherwise was very helpful, often sending emails to check up on me etc. and guess what? He got me in touch with the school I'm now headed to, a branch of EF. I also tried one based in Korea, when the issue of how to get a CRB check without an employer request came up they simply failed to get back to me. Oh well.
cyndie

Unread post by cyndie »

Hi, I'm in Quebec and I haven't finished my degree yet but I plan on teaching this summer to get some money and experience to complete my degree safely. I don't really know where to apply or if there are jobs like I am talking about available here in Quebec. That is why I need some help. Does anyone know where should I hand in my resume or to whom should I talk to get that kind of job? Also, I was wondering when am I really aloud to do replacement here and there during my degree. Is it after my second, third or Forth practicum?