newly CELTA qualified needs your opinion

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

sebbo

newly CELTA qualified needs your opinion

Unread post by sebbo »

Hello everyone,

I have recently passed the Cambridge CELTA, and I am now looking for my first job.
I would love to hear any suggestions that you might have about my profile and what I could expect.
To make it short, Here I am:

- French national, 32 year old
- Living and working in London since 2005 (working with loads of different nationalities(as a gardener)). I decided to change career.
- Passed the Cambridge CELTA this year (at a College in London / 6 months part-time course), enjoyed every second of it! I taught both elementary and pre-int levels (6hours)
- I have no other teaching experience
- Near native level of English
- Passion for languages
- I have been to Uni in France (10 years ago), for 2 years, studying Applied Languages in English and Italian, and Italian Language and Civilisation. But I haven't got a degree.
- I have got an A'Level in Litteracy and modern languages (English, Italian, German)(obtained in France)

Being now Celta qualified, I am looking forward to sart teaching abroad (south of Europe, Thailand, Vietnam, Brazil would be my favourite destinations).
I am aware that the lack of a degree might be an issue, but I would love to hear what you think of my profile ( - and + ), and how would you prospect for a first job with this profile?

=) There are so many contradictoy things on the net..... I thaught I would just ask directly what you experienced teachers think.

Thanks a lot for your advice, suggestions, ideas.... =)
markc
Rising Star

Re: newly CELTA qualified needs your opinion

Unread post by markc »

Sebbo - I think your lack of a degree [and lack of experience] would make it more difficult. As would not being a native speaker, which many countries require. You make quite a few spelling mistakes in your post, and any employer reading a letter like this would be unlikely to hire you.

However, it may be possible to find work in Brazil. Lots of schools there want teachers, and they don't always care about qualifications.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: newly CELTA qualified needs your opinion

Unread post by systematic »

You might get some part-time work for which a work permit may not be necessary, such as in cram schools in Bangkok, but it would be poorly paid, and you would be incurring the cost of getting a new tourist visa every few months, which means travelling out of the country and back.