Where can one teach without a degree?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

explorermic

Where can one teach without a degree?

Unread post by explorermic »

Can anyone provide up to date information on exactly where it is possible to find TEFL work without a degree? I have a degree but my partner doesn't and we'd obviously like to go somewhere together!
Many thanks!
Last edited by josef on 11 Jun 2010, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more meaningful subject line
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Where can one teach without a degree?

Unread post by systematic »

It's possible to teach practically anywhere without a degree, especially private students in you own flat or in their home, and perhaps in companies as a resident teacher. However, if you are seeking legal, secure employment in mainstream schools, the list will be very short nowadays. We don't provide a list here, but there are some extremely interesting discussions for you to follow where countries and pitfall of teaching without a degree are discussed. Just scan through the board index (there are many discussion in several of the forums here, but mainly in those topics based on employment issues).

When you have checked all that out, this site might provide some extra information:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5017015_teach-e ... egree.html
mgrima

Unread post by mgrima »

Teaching without a degree is always more difficult. As the person above mentioned to work in to public system it is almost impossible now to teach without a degree however in private language schools it is definitely a possibility. I currently am completing my undergrad in teaching English as a second language and am working for a private language school. There are many excellent teachers who working for us and do not have a teaching degree. If you’re not planning on getting a degree I think these types of schools would be your best option.
melgaut

Unread post by melgaut »

Hi!
I just looked at the website and I found it very interesting. I did not know it was possible to write a list of countries that allow teaching without a degree. Here in Quebec, Canada I know that there’s a need in some schools for teachers and they hire some without a degree. However, it is really rare and only in special case. People I know that work without a degree did not look or applied for a teaching job: they were asked to. I think that only a certificate is better than nothing and is not too difficult to get. In addition, without any experience in teaching, you will soon realize that the certificate is very useful. In another hand, when I was reading the website I was wondering if those opportunities to work without a degree were offered only to native speakers. According to other posts in the forum, getting a job without being a native speaker seems to be an issue. I’m not a native speaker of English but I’m currently studying to get my degree in ESL teaching. I would like to work abroad. Do you think I get a chance to find a job in the country listed on the website since they hired people without a degree?
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

mgrima wrote:Teaching without a degree is always more difficult. [...] however in private language schools it is definitely a possibility.
In most cases, the degree is required not by the schools, but by the government. You won't get a visa without one, you won't get a teacher's licence without one, and you won't get a work permit without one. There are some rare exceptions, even in Thailand for example, but generally to be caught working there without those three bit of paper means immediate deportation, perhaps following a few days in the holding pen at the immigration jail. It does happen, but fortunately it's rare.