Prospective ESL Teacher with many questions

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Hohei

Prospective ESL Teacher with many questions

Unread post by Hohei »

Hello, my name is Dan and I have many questions; I hope I am in the correct forum.

I have a degree in History and interested in teaching abroad. I am a native English speaker from the USA. I speak some German and Swedish and am most comfortable teaching in a country where I'll be learning their germanic or romance language. Yet I understand most of the demand is in the far east, i.e. South Korea, China, Japan, etc. Are there any good programs in Europe?

Also, I'm midway through the process of applying to this program: http://www.educationadventure.org/
So far they have not asked for money; I have a friend who is a professor who warned me that its quite typical for scammers trying to take advantage of young teachers. Is this a credible program? Should I look elsewhere?

Thank you much in advance.

Dan
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Prospective ESL Teacher with many questions

Unread post by systematic »

Hohei wrote:Also, I'm midway through the process of applying to this program: http://www.educationadventure.org/
So far they have not asked for money; I have a friend who is a professor who warned me that its quite typical for scammers trying to take advantage of young teachers.
Any organisation suggesting you should work as a volunteer in a country where the conditions and salaries are reasonably good (such as the ones you list), need looking at very closely. Nobody, not even voluntary help organisations, does anything for free unless they are benevolent millionaires.
Genuine voluntary work is often done in indescribably poor conditions, and yes, you would be expected to pay for the experience!
Hohei

Unread post by Hohei »

I think you misunderstood me. My friend was telling me a scammer will ask you to put up your own money to travel there. this organization has not asked me to forward any money.
systematic
Top Contributor

Hohei wrote:I think you misunderstood me. My friend was telling me a scammer will ask you to put up your own money to travel there. this organization has not asked me to forward any money.
Not necessarily. A scammer is, in my opinion, also somebody that makes money out of volunteers. Very often, these so called volunteer organisations are taking money off the schools to find teachers for them,and/or are spending large grants from international help organisations on a comfortable life for themselves in 5-star rented property in the capital's safe suburbs, with an SUV and a driver, while the teachers are living in grass huts in the jungle with no sanitation, and only roasted cockroaches and barbecued dog for dinner.

If you are concerned (and you are, that's why you are posting here), you could try writing to them and asking straight out (politely, of course) what fees, costs can you expect - because there will be some. If you get a circumlocutory reply, draw your conclusions. If you don't get a reply at all (the usual approach to such requests), run a mile !
Hohei

Unread post by Hohei »

Well I managed to speak with one of the representatives from Education Adventure. Turns out this organization is based in Vancouver, Canada and acts as a middleman to find teachers for private and public schools in South Korea. They receive commission from the schools once they've found teachers. I pay them nothing.

I even voiced some concerns about being scammed in various organizations and the representative emphasized with me... so it seems pretty legit.

Thank you for the replies.

Dan
systematic
Top Contributor

Hohei wrote:They receive commission from the schools once they've found teachers. I pay them nothing.
- and nobody pays you anything...
Hohei

Unread post by Hohei »

No, the school pays me. I sign a one year contract. Education Adventure is basically a headhunting company.

*empathized