List of countries where old is/isn't too old

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

MariB

List of countries where old is/isn't too old

Unread post by MariB »

Can you help me please..............

to compose a list of those countries where TEFL teachers aged over 60/65 will have less problems getting work, considering local cultural attitudes to age and immigration regulations.
>
> Would a recent modern languages degree along with a TEFL qualification widen my choices?
>
> (I have a UK Cert. Ed. which in theory is still a valid teaching qualification, but in practise it no longer fits me to compete for work in the UK state sector. The teaching profession has been an all graduate entry for over 25 years now and I'm sure the same is true even of developing countries. I am therefore considering self financing* a modern languages degree. I feel it would be a good background for any TEFL teacher. I hope to be able to work overseas for 5+ years, when my husband retires in a few years. We are 2 of this rapidly expanding demographic sector who have lost pensions and are going to work for as long after 60/65 as possible, to delay eaking out a living on little more than the state pension.)
>
> Thank you for any information you can supply.
>
> MariB
> * I found out only last year that although I don't have a 1st degree, I'm not eligible for Student Finance Co fees/maintainance loans! A degree is going to cost me dear in my time** & money and I'm anxious to assess how likely Im to get work overseas in /4 years time.

**A <60 mile drive to/from nearest*** Uni. Or should I go down the OU route?

***Once I'm on their BA course I might be able to get vacation work on their future summer schools; set up to get overseas students up to speed with English for Academic Purposes, prior to embarking on their own degree programmes.
Doogs

Re: List of countries where old is/isn't too old

Unread post by Doogs »

The degree requirement in a lot of countries is for visa, rather than teaching purposes. You could have a degree in biology, which wouldn't be terribly helpful in teaching English. If your a native speaker and have a TEFL certificate you shouldn't have too many problems satisfying your teaching obligations.

To be honest, I'd save the money you would spend on getting your modern languages degree, it probably wont return your investment in terms of enhancing your teaching skills. In your situation I would try to get a job in Asia with the qualifications you have. You could probably get a job in China, and need no qualifications whatsoever to teach in private language schools and government run schools from kindergarten to middle schools here, which is where the bulk of the work is to be had. Have a look here first though.http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/

Assuming you own your own home, you could rent it out while teaching in Asia. You won't save much if any money on TEFL teachers wages, but you will have a better quality of life than you might have back in the U.K. at least until the recession is over.

I've met a couple of people in their sixties still living and teaching in China, but some schools have a cut off point between forty five and sixty. I seems to vary from school to school. The age of retirement in China is 55 for women and 60 for men, but it seems to be different for foreigners, as many things are. It's hard to get a working visa for China without a degree, but there may be other options. Have a look at the job boards at Dave's EFL Cafe http://www.eslcafe.com/ and maybe contact a few places to get a feel for what if any age policies they have.

Good luck with it all.
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Gandhi.