What do people do after retiring from ESL teaching?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in general. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

What do people do after retiring from ESL teaching?

Unread postby Krisha » 19 Jan 2009, 23:07

What career paths have other ESL teachers taken when they've finished?

Anyone know of some reputable companies started by ESL teachers?
Krisha
Registered Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 08:08
Status: Other

Re: What do people do after retiring from ESL teaching?

Unread postby systematic » 27 Jan 2009, 16:17

Krisha wrote:What career paths have other ESL teachers taken when they've finished?

That's a very interesting topic starter :D
I know several former ESL teachers who have set up their own companies in real estate, tourism, boutique hotels, construction, up-market restaurants, and software/website development. Some have published a book or two and become full-time writers, others have made a reputation for themselves as members of the educational editorial staff of reputable newspapers and periodicals.

Dave of of the DAVE's ESL Café forum was previously a teacher here in Thailand and has followed with a hugely successful career with his website and as a writer of textbooks, and is a sought-after guest lecturer. Ian, the founder of the ajarn.com forum, started a boutique hotel on Ko Chang island that is doing very well.

Many build up their future careers as a sideline while they are still teaching
Krisha wrote:Anyone know of some reputable companies started by ESL teachers?

Have a look at these:

http://siamconsulting.com
http://ultralingua.com
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
____________________
Thailand TESOL forum
systematic
Teacher
 
Posts: 528
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 13:38
Location: UK, France, & Thailand
Status: Other

Re: What do people do after retiring from ESL teaching?

Unread postby systematic » 05 Feb 2009, 01:35

generally, with the exception of those who own and/or manage TESOL training establishments and placement agencies, university lecturers, those who have qualified for senior positions such as DOS, and the permanent staff of international schools, the vast majority of TEFLERs is comprised of travellers, gap year students, and those seeking a short-term experience.

Certainly, even in developed countries such as the UK, the average TEFL teacher often earns even less than a blue-collar worker.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
____________________
Thailand TESOL forum
systematic
Teacher
 
Posts: 528
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 13:38
Location: UK, France, & Thailand
Status: Other

Re: What do people do after retiring from ESL teaching?

Unread postby systematic » 30 Mar 2009, 07:42

For some people who are courageous enough to meet the challenge and have the right qualifications, teaching English either at home or abroad can have its rewards. After a few years in my first career as a marketing executive I went back to college as a mature student and made a complete change. I was able to recently at 60 from decades of 'TEFFLing' and other work in linguistics and higher education. I had paid my kid through college who is now a chair professor, I have a house in France with a pool and several acres of vineyard; in Thailand, a wife and two lovely adopted children, a house with a pool, three cars, a motel, a tractor and 25 rai of farmland and livestock; excellent, inexpensive health coverage from the BUPA, and royalties on a few things I managed to get published, including a series of English textbooks.
I don't have, and probably won't get a pension, because I never lived anywhere long enough to qualify for one. I could have continued working for a few more years, but I do have a reasonably successful software company (also linguistics) which keeps me busy enough.
I do not regret 30+ years of ELT for one moment - and I never stopped learning the whole time.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
____________________
Thailand TESOL forum
systematic
Teacher
 
Posts: 528
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 13:38
Location: UK, France, & Thailand
Status: Other

Re: What do people do after retiring from ESL teaching?

Unread postby marketingman » 22 Aug 2010, 16:10

systematic wrote:For some people who are courageous enough to meet the challenge and have the right qualifications, teaching English either at home or abroad can have its rewards. After a few years in my first career as a marketing executive I went back to college as a mature student and made a complete change. I was able to recently at 60 from decades of 'TEFFLing' and other work in linguistics and higher education. I had paid my kid through college who is now a chair professor, I have a house in France with a pool and several acres of vineyard; in Thailand, a wife and two lovely adopted children, a house with a pool, three cars, a motel, a tractor and 25 rai of farmland and livestock; excellent, inexpensive health coverage from the BUPA, and royalties on a few things I managed to get published, including a series of English textbooks.
I don't have, and probably won't get a pension, because I never lived anywhere long enough to qualify for one. I could have continued working for a few more years, but I do have a reasonably successful software company (also linguistics) which keeps me busy enough.
I do not regret 30+ years of ELT for one moment - and I never stopped learning the whole time.


This is a hugely inspiring post. My guess would be that many people who might be thinking of EFL have similar concerns... is it just a 'gap year' thing or can it be sustainable? You have clearly proven that (with hard work / extra long term objectives) it can be done (and very successfully).

In light of my other topic, this is a breath of fresh air to know that there is a sustainable future in EFL :-)
marketingman
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 22 Aug 2010, 14:52
Status: Prospective Teacher

Re: What do people do after retiring from ESL teaching?

Unread postby markc » 03 Sep 2010, 03:28

Lots of people only teach English for a year or two, but people who spend much longer teaching - like me - often end up managing language schools or training teachers. I had my own chain of language schools which I've now sold. I've also been involved in writing EFL coursebooks, and other tefl related materials.

Good and interesting story, Systematic.
markc
Silver Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 12:21
Status: Other

Re: What do people do after retiring from ESL teaching?

Unread postby LeeCh » 06 Sep 2010, 13:13

I'm thinking of doing something similar for a career break (I hold a Masters degree an IT and have 10 years IT industry experience). I'm actually hoping not to go back to programming, and I was just wondering if anyone had or knew of anybody who had gone back to a different career once they had done it?

Thanks
Lee
LeeCh
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 06 Sep 2010, 13:08
Status: Prospective Teacher


Return to Jobs Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 33 guests