teaching in south america

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

italturk

teaching in south america

Unread post by italturk »

Me and my boyfriend who is Italian whilst I am British want to travel round South America this Summer...I want to teach English whilst he I suppose can do bar work as his english is limited...does anyone have any advice on how i go about teaching english in South America without a degree and get paid for it?
KevinteacherBrazil

Re: teaching in south america

Unread post by KevinteacherBrazil »

italturk,
I can help you out with the teaching English part. I am an English teacher in Brazil and i came here without any qualifications. Really, the biggest qualification is being a native English speaker. You can try contacting some schools before you come here. They will let you work on a tourist visa with no problem and pay you in cash at the end of every month. You can also come to Brazil and look for a job when you get here. This is a bit riskier, but I did it with no problem. You will receive training after you arrive from the school you work for, so no teaching experience is necessary.

I came across a good website about teaching English in Brazil:
http://teachingenglishinbrazil.googlepages.com

Two guys have written about their experience teaching English in Sao Paulo. Their insight is pretty helpful. Good luck with your idea, and I encourage you to go forward with it!

-Kevin
ocumare

Unread post by ocumare »

Just travelling around South America is not the same thing as travelling around Europe. I lived in Venezuela for a lengthy period of time, have travelled and lived in Europe, Asia, and Mexico as well. It is a hell of a lot more dangerous than you imagine. I only hope you have done your homework and speak Spanish and some Portuguese. It is easy to get work and a safer idea to stay put in one place and make planned excursions. Just some plain-speaking advice. Good luck, Ocumare
jonnielsen

Unread post by jonnielsen »

italturk wrote:Me and my boyfriend who is Italian whilst I am British want to travel round South America this Summer...I want to teach English whilst he I suppose can do bar work as his english is limited...does anyone have any advice on how i go about teaching english in South America without a degree and get paid for it?
Hi, any update about the two of you now? Have you proceed or succeeded in teaching english in south america? I found out this site and hope this could help you in teaching english in south america. http://www.i-to-i.com/teach-english-in- ... erica.html
"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it. "
Editor @ Daily Reviews
alinaka

Unread post by alinaka »

I would like to share my experience of working with this organization.
First, everything has seemed just fine- nice wages, employers pay for airline ticket, provides free housing. We have signed the contract with them and the contract was correct. We started to advertise the program and make students fill the applications. We had asked a lot of questions, and we got answers – everything was great. But we could not know the name of employer or even petition number to check if it was approved. The contract was supposed to be sent after participants pay $100 registration fee to be placed to that employer and $290 housing fee. The account for money transfer was at Cyprus, Lefkosia. These are their address and bank accounts.
ALPHA BANK LIMITED. Head Office address: Stylianos Lenas Square SWIFT: ABKLCY2N beneficiary:
WORLDWIDE ACE LTD. 72, New Bond Street London, W1S 1RR, England Account : CY57 0090 0202 0002 0210 6008 9890 SWIFT: ABKLCY2N

When the participants had remitted the money to ACE we still didn’t get the contract with the employer. We requested the apostil of their company and get the document where it was stated that Limited Liability partnership Worldwide ACE was before Gladdon LLP.
During one phone conversation (they always were calling) we decided to stop our partnership because after all documents from their side it was obvious that they are fraudsters!!! And also they wanted to get money for all 25 participants and after that they would send contract. They promised to make refund to participants that have paid $390 within 90 business days. They didn’t refund money after that time. We have started to call and ask for the refund and we can’t reach them – phone never answers and emails are ignored.
In internet I have found that we are not alone. They have cheated a lot of other agencies.
Their web site: http://www.americanculturalexchanges.org/
Their job application form is here now: http://www.connecting-peru.com/2010%20h ... n[2]...pdf
I want to warn everybody about them and I will continue to share with my bad experience to all agencies and embassies in other countries. THEY STILL CONTINUE TO CHEAT AGENCIES AND INDIVIDUALS.