Does anybody have info about teaching English in Egypt?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

gabrielle

Does anybody have info about teaching English in Egypt?

Unread post by gabrielle »

I really want to teach in Egypt and I've already inquired here in Australia about doing TEFL course, The TEFL i to i is doing 20 hours weekend course, is that enough qualifications for me to teach in Egypt? Also the TEFL int'l is doing intensive course in Alexandria Egpyt. Is that better to do the course there or here in Australia? Doing course in Egypt gives me a better chance of finding a job there or not? Anybody could give me some advice, really much appreciated.
Comenius

Unread post by Comenius »

My knowledge on Egypt is a bit dated, but I had a friend that taught in Cairo a number of years ago. He worked at one of the international high schools and had teacher credentials from the US.

When I asked him about the local job market he told me that private language schools are always looking for people, although the best bet to find work would be to show up and start looking on the ground.

Apparently most of the private schools in Egypt don't really advertise for teachers globally the way some of the larger international chain schools do, although the jobs are definitely there.
jonnielsen

Re: Is anybody have information about teaching English in Egypt?

Unread post by jonnielsen »

I've found a site and it has informations about teaching english in egypt. Maybe this help.
http://www.transitionsabroad.com/public ... gypt.shtml
"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it. "
Editor @ Daily Reviews
michaeldelrieu

Re: Is anybody have information about teaching English in Eg

Unread post by michaeldelrieu »

Hi,
My wife and I taught in Cairo for a year, with the British Council, and the pay rate is 'hardship post': bad time table during ramadan, traffic is horrendous, and the attitude towards women is crap (my wife got spat on whilst walking to work, and we've lived more than 7 years in other muslim countries whithout a problem).

For a more detailed (nuanced?) account, please contact me.
pmcguire

Re: Is anybody have information about teaching English in Eg

Unread post by pmcguire »

jonnielsen wrote:I've found a site and it has informations about teaching english in egypt. Maybe this help.
http://www.transitionsabroad.com/public ... gypt.shtml
This was before the revolution. Can't imagine going there now looking for work!