Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

bvgarian
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 11 Nov 2019, 17:03
Status: Prospective Teacher

Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Unread post by bvgarian » 11 Nov 2019, 17:11

Hello,

I am a Caucasian, a U.S. citizen, and I have a B.A. from an American university. I would like to teach English abroad, but I am wondering if my name would be a hindrance? I have a foreign-sounding name as I wasn't born in America, but rather moved to the U.S. when I was three. My nickname can be "American" but all of my documents have my foreign name on them. Do you think this would be an issue? I know some companies have a certain demographic in mind in order to accept applicants. I hope this question isn't too controversial,

Thank you.

COLIN
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 Aug 2019, 11:54
Status: Teacher

Re: Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Unread post by COLIN » 12 Nov 2019, 19:10

Everything seems to be an issue for these employers. Name, age, qualifications, handsome or ugly and all the rest. They are actually looking for a perfect "barby" doll and not a good professional. Gone are the days when a fresh man would be welcome to a honey ride. Things have gotten so rough that no rabbit dares poking his nose out of the burrow anymore. Nevertheless, the ads are there just as a show case, inviting people to risk their necks on the guillotine.

User avatar
odyssey
Rising Star
Posts: 45
Joined: 29 Aug 2005, 21:38
Status: Teacher

Re: Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Unread post by odyssey » 17 Nov 2019, 09:18

bvgarian wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 17:11
Hello,

I am a Caucasian, a U.S. citizen, and I have a B.A. from an American university. I would like to teach English abroad, but I am wondering if my name would be a hindrance? I have a foreign-sounding name as I wasn't born in America, but rather moved to the U.S. when I was three. My nickname can be "American" but all of my documents have my foreign name on them. Do you think this would be an issue? I know some companies have a certain demographic in mind in order to accept applicants. I hope this question isn't too controversial,

Thank you.
Hey, loads of American surnames are "foreign" or foreign-sounding. I don't think it's an issue these days.

User avatar
odyssey
Rising Star
Posts: 45
Joined: 29 Aug 2005, 21:38
Status: Teacher

Re: Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Unread post by odyssey » 17 Nov 2019, 09:18

COLIN wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 19:10
Everything seems to be an issue for these employers. Name, age, qualifications, handsome or ugly and all the rest. They are actually looking for a perfect "barby" doll and not a good professional. Gone are the days when a fresh man would be welcome to a honey ride. Things have gotten so rough that no rabbit dares poking his nose out of the burrow anymore. Nevertheless, the ads are there just as a show case, inviting people to risk their necks on the guillotine.
hahaha Nice one Colin :mrgreen:

COLIN
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 Aug 2019, 11:54
Status: Teacher

Re: Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Unread post by COLIN » 17 Nov 2019, 15:45

Thank you Odyssey,
Someone needs to tell it like it is.
The merit goes to this forum that gives vent to democratic voices like my big open mouth. However, the truth shall always stand out very strong independent of those who try to render obscure real facts, or are tolerant with fake personalities.
More teachers should speak out though. Or is it all a bed of roses for those that are silent?

User avatar
Joe
Admin
Posts: 171
Joined: 15 Dec 2010, 08:53
Status: Other

Re: Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Unread post by Joe » 17 Nov 2019, 15:59

COLIN wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 15:45
Thank you Odyssey,
Someone needs to tell it like it is.
The merit goes to this forum that gives vent to democratic voices like my big open mouth. However, the truth shall always stand out very strong independent of those who try to render obscure real facts, or are tolerant with fake personalities.
More teachers should speak out though. Or is it all a bed of roses for those that are silent?
:R: :R: :R: :!:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven

COLIN
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 Aug 2019, 11:54
Status: Teacher

Re: Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Unread post by COLIN » 17 Nov 2019, 16:25

Thank you Joe. It makes me feel much better to know that I am not a lonely duck swimming in this wide ocean.

Walt Gomez
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: 30 Nov 2019, 10:14
Status: Teacher

Re: Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Unread post by Walt Gomez » 04 Dec 2019, 06:55

Depends on how foreign. If it still sounds European, I've seen people with Italian and Portuguese and Spanish names teach.
I have seen people with Bosnian names teach. But of course a John Smith would be preferred over an Istvan Izetbecovitz when the choice is to hire one out of the two.

So, yes, this makes one slightly less hire-able, but only slightly. Just send out many, many resumes.
I am also naturalized and this was an issue with three Saudi companies, but not others.

Also depends on the country. Russians like John Smiths, Saudis are 50/50, E. Asians mostly care about your face if it "looks American".

So, if your chances are fewer, send out more resumes.

Post Reply