Help: Business English Textbooks

Discussion on teaching Business English

Moderator: Joe

soozywilmott

Help: Business English Textbooks

Unread post by soozywilmott »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice, or let me know of a website or forum, to recommend good Business English Textbooks?

I have to choose a textbook from the OUP catalogue which doesn`t give me much information. I used Business Venture last year and didn`t like it very much. Business Objectives: International Edition looks good but I can`t seem to find anyone who has ever used it.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
matthew156

Re: Help: Business English Textbooks

Unread post by matthew156 »

Market Leader
gec

Unread post by gec »

I really like International Express Elementary. I haven't seen the other International Express books, but this is really enjoyable to use, has a good focus on skills such as telephoning, and emailing, and deals with grammar very well. The workbook is also excellent, giving plenty of practice to students. I haven't seen the teacher's guide.
Market Leader assumes that the students are high-flying business people, or people with an academic interest in business, which is great for certain groups of students, but for office workers who don't have a business degree/aren't interested in high finance, cashflow, brand management etc. then I would recommend International Express.
In a related matter I put a question on the Market Leader discussion forum (http://forums.longman.com/DB_Topics.aspx?fid=8) back in October and there has been no response from Longman. I can't believe that they have nobody moderating/monitoring the discussion forums.
Finally, I have the teacher's guide for Market Leader Upper Intermediate and think that it is very good (despite a few errors). There are lots of newspaper articles at the back, complete with exercises. Perfect for homework, broadening vocabulary etc.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

BTW: looking through my archives, I found that I have worked successfully with the OUP Business Objectives and Business Opportunities series, with adults in middle management in Thailand.

Here also is a link to the complete CUP catalogue:
http://www.cambridge.org/elt/catalogue/ ... asp?cid=10
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.