HELP! Volunteering in Europe?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Student

HELP! Volunteering in Europe?

Unread post by Student »

Hi.

I've considered dipping my toe in TEFL waters but have yet to take the plunge. Oh, it's the usual reasons: I'm closer to 35 than 20, I fear that contract work equals zero job security, I'm a non-white native speaker, and let's not forget the general, "am-I-making-a-huge-mistake-how-will-I-afford-everything?" fears, which I'm hoping we've all shared at some point. And so...

To put these fears to rest, at least for a while, and experience the world of TEFL first-hand, I'd like to try volunteering abroad. As in Europe. Trouble is, you hear about all sorts of scams that have taken people unaware. I'm hoping someone here can recommend (or even advise against) any relevant organisations. Ideally, I'm looking to do no more than 4 weeks and yes, a salary of some sort would be a bonus.

Or am I hoping for the impossible? 2 weeks in France or Italy, now that would be perfect!
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: HELP! Volunteering in Europe?

Unread post by Susan »

For volunteering, have you looked at VSO? Don't know if they do anything in Europe though. You could also try volunteer teaching for refugees in large cities in the UK.

Susan
Student

Re: HELP! Volunteering in Europe?

Unread post by Student »

Hi Susan, no, I hadn't thought of that, thank you.