PSome advice on getting qualified to teach in South America!

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

HenryMiller

PSome advice on getting qualified to teach in South America!

Unread post by HenryMiller »

Hi all,

I've been searching the internet endlessly and it's proving difficult to find any clear, impartial information on the subject, so I decided to ask for your advice on here!

I'm hoping to teach English in South America, maybe Colombia, for six months and then travel around the continent. I am going to university to study English but my plan is to do this in my gap year.

I've been looking at courses and I understand the two recognized ones are the CELTA and the Trinity CertTESOL. I have found cheaper courses, mostly internet ones but I'm unsure of their value. In some ways, even though I'd only be teaching for six months, I'd rather invest in a recognized course with it in mind that if I enjoy the experience (and I'm sure I will!) I can return to teaching English after my degree. Plus even the internet courses seem very pricey for what they are!

So what would my chances be of finding a job with a certificate but no degree? And how about with a cheaper TEFL certificate? I've heard that you can teach children but not adults if you have no degree.

Also how will I find a job? What is the common way? Ideally my work would be paid so I can do a bit of travelling afterwards.

Any advice/ information would be really helpful as everywhere I look I'm being given different information! Also, does anyone have any experience teaching English specifically in South America?
Sorry for all the questions; I'm a bit lost!

Thanks so much!!
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: PSome advice on getting qualified to teach in South Amer

Unread post by Susan »

From the school's point of view, the sooner you tell them, the better. If they haven't paid you anything or bought your ticket yet, and if they understand human lives, you should be able to get out of it. At the end of the day, it depends on whether they understand and let you out of the contract and on the law of the country under which the contract is drawn up.