Questions on getting Certified to Teach

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Cravalho

Questions on getting Certified to Teach

Unread post by Cravalho »

Recently, I have done quite a bit of research about teaching English abroad. Right now I am trying to answer some fundamental questions that speak to my current situation so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California Santa Cruz in Business, but I want to try my hand at teaching English overseas to support myself during travels. I hear that the best way to find the highest paying jobs is to get certified to teach. I want to teach English in Germany and I know that this field can be quite competitive in Europe. I was interested in getting a certificate that is very widely accepted like the CELTA or Trinity's certTESOL, but I had a few questions first.
I don't know yet if I want to teach English as a career, but I can say that my goals, at this point, are to make a good wage and teach for 1-2 years, possibly more if I like it.

1. Is it a good idea to get a certificate like the CELTA even if I only plan on teaching 1-2 years. (I know this certificate is quite expensive).

2. Should I go to Germany (or out of the US) to get the certificate?

3. Does anybody know the average wage of English teachers in Germany? Also, does anyone know the average cost of living?

4. Are there any good taster courses or workshops that would help me decide whether teaching is right for me before I get certified?

Thank you for any insight or help you can provide.
prague

Re: Questions on getting Certified to Teach

Unread post by prague »

If you want to embark on a teaching and traveling abroad adventure, there are a number of options. First of all, it’s important to do your research. It sounds like you’ve definitely done some research on these programs. I also have a Bachelor of Arts in Business and I decided to try my hand at this as well, and I earned my TEFL Certificate overseas in Prague. Through this, I’ve been able to travel to countries such Slovakia, Poland, Germany, all over the Czech Republic, England, and Hungary as well. Through my own research and experience, I’d recommend earning your certificate overseas as opposed to in the US. This way, you can search for jobs actively while on the course and possibly even attend interviews, make personal connections, and visit schools personally during or immediately before or after the course. I currently work for a TEFL school in Prague, and we have many graduates (both EU and non EU citizens) who have gone on to teach in Germany. Since they do hire Americans, it's quite the popular place for TEFL graduates to consider working.

In Germany, you will most likely be teaching adults, and starting out your work experience by working in a language school. One good thing about Germany is that hourly rates can be high. The typical amount is 17-22 Euro per lesson and double that if you’re an experienced teacher. If you earn your TEFL certificate, get a job with a language school, and build up your client base, you can make a nice living for yourself. Monthly salaries usually range from 1,200 Euro per month to 2,000 Euro per month gross. It seems like in Germany, as with many countries, it provides a good opportunity to build up your client base, learn the language, and acquire specialty skills that will make you extremely marketable. Hope this helps!

Justin