CERTIFICATES TEFL TESL TESOL necessary?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

argi

CERTIFICATES TEFL TESL TESOL....

Unread post by argi »

I NEED HELP OR ADVICE!!!
I really thought untill this year that all the certificates were in a way compulsory to teach. But now I nothing is clear...this is just a mess.

I am spanish native speaker, I have a degree (BA) in English Philology (Spanish University degree which would be like American BA in English Language and Literature more or less).... and I have been teahing English in different language schools in Spain, and teaching Spanish as a second language at a University in the States.
Having introduced my academic and experience situation....I would like to know if it would be worth it for me to get a TESL TEFL certificate or not.

Please answer me soon because I´m very lost in all this!!.... If you guys think it´s not neccessary I won´t do it because I do think it´s a waste of money in my case that I have experience already....
What do you think?????????
HenryTeach

Unread post by HenryTeach »

This might be a useful start:

http://free-esl.com/channels/articles/d ... ?fIndex=41

Basically, the qualifications you need are dependent on where you want to teach. So if your English is excellent, you can find a job without any qualifications in a school right at the bottom end of the market.

The more qualifications you have, the better. The *usual* minimum is a degree plus a cert.