Newbie needs general help!

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

Newbie needs general help!

Unread postby musicman » 10 Oct 2011, 19:41

Hello everyone,
This is my first post to this forum. I have searched and read several other threads related to my questions but have not found adequate answers.

I would like to teach EFL in any of the following locations: Russia (preferred), Ukraine, Belarus, China, or any Central or South American country. I am white, speak American English since birth, from Texas, speak a little Spanish, and have an Associates of Applied Science degree in Computer Science. I have done some work towards a BA but am currently not enrolled. I do not anticipate completing the BA degree due to my time being occupied with a business that I own. I have not completed a TEFL course but intend on doing the ICAL Online TEFL. I am not interested in obtaining illegal work, strange visas, or any other questionable activities. I want a real job! High pay is not a requirement either, nor is a high standard of living. I actually kinda want to live just like the students I would teach. Not sure if I should try to teach adults or children. I am leaning towards children though.

Where does everyone find out about certain countries requirements for teaching TEFL?
Do you think it would be possible to gain legitimate employment in any of the locations listed with only AAS degree + TEFL certification?
Do any of you experience racism against white people in non-white countries?
I have read a litte about ICAL already, but do any of you have opinions of them?
Any advice on whether to choose to teach adults or children?

Thank you.
musicman
Registered Member

Return to Teacher Training Discussion