Teaching in Japan with a non-BA degree

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Ady

Teaching in Japan with a non-BA degree

Unread post by Ady »

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and took care to search for a topic pertaining to the title but was unable to find one. As a result, I created this. Apologies if it's already been covered somewhere and I missed it.

Anyway, following a recent, eye-opening trip to Japan, I'm considering the possibility of teaching English there (fFrom the many 'gaijin' I spoke to whilst over there, I understand TEFL jobs are quite common for foreigners in Japan). However, I don't have a full Bachelor's degree, but I'm a year away from completeing what's known as a Foundation Degree through my current employer. What I'd like to know, then is whether it's possible to teach in Japan with such a qualification (JET, for instance require BA degrees only). I am thinking of doing a TEFL course next year, but would like to confirm I could actually get work in my chosen country with a non-bachelors degree before I commence.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, and I thank you in advance.
lorichan

Degrees are required

Unread post by lorichan »

in order to teach legally in Japan. The government has strict rules and only issue working visas for certain degrees. There is a webpage devoted to the ins and outs of the kinds of degrees acceptable, however, I can't remember it. You should start by searching embassy/consulate websites. Good luck.
Johnny

teaching in Japan

Unread post by Johnny »

I started teaching in Japan about 9 years ago and the requirement then with the big English schools was for any degree. This would qualify you for a visa to enable you to teach. There are many teaching jobs in Japan but they entail hard work and not such a good salary. If you love teaching Japan would be a way of getting good experience.
Good luck,
Johnny
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

The legal minimum qualification to get a Work Visa in Japan is a BA/BS degree from an accredited institute.

You might like to check "A Guide to Japanese Visas" on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Japan for more detailed info http://www.mofa.go.jp