Which course?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

AndrewA

Which course?

Unread post by AndrewA »

Hey Everyone,

i am hoping to start a TEFL course next month in either Barcelona or Ukraine. My main concern is that there are so many different names of the courses eg CELTA, TrinityCERT TESOL, SIT TESOL. From what i have read CELTA seems to be the leader, but is this solely because of the Cambridge connection or is it actually a better course?

here are the links for the centres i am interested in:

http://www.cambridgeschool.com/es/teach ... celta.html

http://teflbarcelona.net/

they all appear to be the same thing, so my concerns are mainly cost and post-course employability.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Andy
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Which course?

Unread post by Briona »

The CELTA and Trinity CertTESOL are equally rated, although the CELTA may be slightly more recognisable because it's offered by more providers. That said, schools requiring that level of qualification will always accept either a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL. I don't know enough about the SIT to advise.

With regards to the schools, the first of the links you've chosen is actually the school where I did my CELTA. I purposely chose that course because at the time it was the only five-week course in Spain, and trust me that extra week is a God-send! I was very happy with the teaching and, for the most part, I found the input sessions interesting. The teachers who were working in the school were friendly (especially the recent graduates from that very course), the tutors were helpful and the school was very well resourced. The biggest problem was the lack of computers. The three (or was it four?) in the teachers' room were pretty poor and were frequently used for teaching, which made the room unusable at certain times. Oh, and the WIFI was a bit temperamental. Nonetheless I got through it, eventually coming out with a Pass A. I would definitely recommend that particular provider (although I'd like to think I'd recommend it wherever I'd done it!).

In terms of employability, you may find the school has some vacancies at the end of the course – that was certainly the case when I did it. However I chose to make my own way, and since doing the course (Feb-Mar 2010), I've spent a summer working in Vietnam and an academic year in Portugal. In two weeks' time I'm off to Poland to spend an academic year there.
travel

Unread post by travel »

Hi Andy!

It can get very confusing with all these acronyms cant it! Don’t worry though; there are plenty of options available. It’s just about finding the course that’s right for you.

It usually depends where you want teaching English to take you. People who are wanting to make a long career out of TEFL/TESOL (they are the same thing!) are often recommended to take the CELTA course (Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults).

This can be expensive however so if you’re looking to teach English as a foreign language for a couple of years then the TEFL course is perfect for you. It’s internationally recognised and equips you will the confidence and skills to become a successful teacher.
Last edited by Susan on 21 Sep 2011, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To remove link and reference to it.
AndrewA

Unread post by AndrewA »

cheers. i am looking to do it for the next year and then hopefully continue teaching part time whilst i study. From what i have seen the TEFL and CELTA are similarly priced so that doesn't seem like such an issue anymore. i just want to do a course that is recognised and will make me employable within Europe.
AndrewA

Unread post by AndrewA »

also, does anyone know how much harder the CELTA is than a normal TEFL qualification? as i am only really planning to teach for a couple of years maximum or part-time.
Azariah

Unread post by Azariah »

Hi AndrewA,

The term "TEFL Course" doesn't refer to any particular course. The CELTA is a normal TEFL qualification, it isn't different or advanced in any way, as the rumours may tell. It's an intensive course but well worth it, especially if you're looking to teach in Europe.

My advice: go for the CELTA or Tinity TESOL ;)

Azariah