Which course? Advice please!

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

KCasey

Which course? Advice please!

Unread post by KCasey »

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody will be able to help me with some advice please?

I'm a journalism graduate who, after a long time either not working or doing bits and bats of freelancing, has recently managed to get a half decent full time contracted job. I'm earning enough money to pay off my overdraft that I accrued and I'm finally beginning to save surplus cash too.

I'm planning on, when I have enough money saved up, going to South Korea and at least initially would like to teach English. I have a small amount of informal experience in this field as I currently do a weekly language exchange with a Korean lady I know.

My problem is I'm not fully certain what I should do regarding a TEFL or similair qualification.
I would not be able to get 4 weeks off of work to do this and I'm not certain it would be a good idea to quit my job - even when I have saved a fair amount of money - to then do a course like this with no guaranteed job at the end of it.

Are there any courses you could recomend where I would be able to do the bulk of the theory at home or on weekends?
I imagine I can take off up to two weeks from my job so I would be able to do any observed teaching, etc in this period.

My problem seems to be that all the courses I have seen are either 4 weeks and not very flexible or the "intense" ones (2 days or so) do not look like they'd consitute a great qualification and I do not believe I would learn enough from them to do my potential future students justice.

Sorry for the long post but any feedback or advice would be great!

Kind regards,
Kieron
pokedmund
Rising Star

Re: Which course? Advice please!

Unread post by pokedmund »

If the CELTA is what you're interested in, check each English centre. Many offer part time course which last up to 3-4 months.

this was the option I took when I was working full time in London, 9-5.