CELTA . . . Fight the abuse!!!

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

counselny

CELTA . . . Fight the abuse!!!

Unread post by counselny »

The intensive program offered by CELTA is challenging without a doubt. It’s not the subject matter that poses the challenge for most, it’s the time obligation. Eight to nine hours at the school, travel time to and from, plus, four to six hours of homework can break the enthusiasm of the most committed aspirant. Plus, to make the course even more stressful looms the ever present threat of losing your total tuition amount of $2,495.00 if, for any reason, you can’t complete the course – which I personally find criminal!

Don’t fret . . . there is recourse!

(1) Protect yourself by paying for the course with a credit card that provides buyer protection. Put the fact that the school wants to keep your “total” tuition in dispute. Many other schools around the world refund a percentage of tuition depending on how much time you spent with the course, or, they will defer you to a part-time course – which is fair to the student. The fact that you signed a contract which states you will lose your total tuition upon failure to complete the course does protect them to some degree, however, fairness (or a lack there of) is also a compelling factor. Keeping your $2,495.00 and giving “nothing” in return is simply not fair. Also, one cannot truly appreciate the demands of the course unless they experience it first hand – and one size does not fit all!

(2) Post as many complaints as possible! On line you’ll find the NYS Consumer Protection Board (http://www.nysconsumer.gov), where you can fill out a consumer complaint form (the school wants to avoid black marks with the state and will negotiate to protect its reputation). Also, post a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. (If you enrolled in different CELTA program in another state, file with that state’s consumer protection board etc.).

(3) Post your stories to help future CELTA students protect themselves. We as consumers have rights! Students of the world unite! Don’t let a CELTA program bully you into believing you have no options. They want to protect their reputation; so they will negotiate (especially with a state’s consumer protection board). They also want to avoid pressure from credit card companies!

Pressure them in your complaints for 100% percent of your tuition and don’t accept anything less than 75% percent. That way you walk away with something which is better than nothing – it’s only fair! Most student don’t complain and they lose everything . . . the schools are aware of this and they take full advantage of it by factoring it into their profits! STAND UP . . . GET UP . . . DON’T GIVE UP THE FIGHT!!!
Last edited by Joe on 09 Apr 2011, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove irrelevant commercial name
pokedmund
Rising Star

Re: CELTA . . . Fight the abuse!!!

Unread post by pokedmund »

There's also the part time option to consider? Instead of lasting 1 month, the course is spread over 3-4 months.

I noticed that the one month celta didn't match my working schedule, hence doing the part time course instead.

and to post my story about the celta? It helped me with the basics of being an English teacher in Hong Kong where I currently teach. I found it to be a brilliant and great value course. And even the part time course wasn't easy (whilst working 9-5 Mon to Fri)
Robersovic

Re: CELTA . . . Fight the abuse!!!

Unread post by Robersovic »

Hi there. I am new to this forum.

I am keen on doing a TEFL course and am leaning towards the CELTA qualification. Could you recommend a part-time option? I ama little concerned with the cramming side of the course, plus i am not ready to leave for another year or so.

Thank you.