TEFL Beginner (another beginner :D)

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

TEFL Beginner (another beginner :D)

Unread postby NickDavis » 09 Mar 2011, 17:20

Hi everyone

I'm new here too. I see that this is pretty much the "newby" board :D I'm interested in TEFL/TESOL and am currently looking into courses.

From what I've read so far, it seems to be that there's a lot of crap advertised on the net, and we have to choose the courses we take wisely. I'm looking for a certificate that is internationally recognized and will lead to good work options. I've got some more reading to do, to find out what all these acronyms mean, and all the stuff about being careful with regard to which course to choose. However, I'm just wondering about a couple of options I've seen, which seem pretty good (I'm open to travelling anywhere in Europe to undertake the course, and don't want to take the online option. I'd like to take a course that is accredited, resulting in a certificate that will open up my options to teach anywhere in the world. From the bits that I've read in "student testimonials", it seems to be that there is always work available, and it's pretty flexible on the whole. People seem to love the TEFL lifestyle :-)

The two places I've seen are:

http://www.oxfordtefl.com/Trinity-Cert-TESOL.html
http://www.teflworldwideprague.com/

Are these examples of accredited and well-recognized courses?

There's kinda an overwhelming amount of information - it's tough to know where to look and what to look for!

I'd also love to work in the USA, in San Diego, after completing my certification. I'm a British citizen, so I'm not sure how flexible it is to work in the USA. Has anybody done this before? It looks like I'd need to prearrange with a school, and they'd have to organize a working visa for me, for me to be able to work out there. From the research I've done so far, it looks like a difficult option, and it's difficult to know who to trust (a San Diego based school assured me that they'd find me a job in the San Diego area immediately after finishing the course, but I was advised by someone else to be careful with this kind of "agreement.") So, just wondering if anyone who's a British citizen has managed to work in the USA with their certificate?

Thanks everyone. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Nick
NickDavis
Registered Member

Return to Teacher Training Discussion